2017-2018 Foreign Exchange Students

Brianna Narlock, Reporter

During the 2017-2018 school year, the D.C. Everest Senior High School welcomed six foreign exchange students. Those students include Andreas Aanrud from Norway, Wendy Uribe Perez from Mexico, Emanuel Idenfeidt from Italy, Doerte Kemper from Germany, Giordano Tintori, and Lea Meier.

While they have only been at D.C. Everest a month, the students have already learned so much from their experiences.

“I think it [school] is really, completely different, in the way that it is really big here [D.C. Everest]. All the classes are in the same classroom in Mexico. The students stay and the teachers switch classrooms,” said Perez.

While the size of the school and classes are bigger, the cost of lunch is not. Andreas also noted that everything’s bigger in the U.S.

“Normally, in Norway it [food] is very expensive. Lunch here is about two dollars a day. Lunch in Norway is $12 every day, (€10.20),” said Aanrud. “We have a restaurant in our school in Norway. It is driven by students.  The cost of three days of lunch in Norway is like three weeks of lunch here.”

Taking part in school activities is a great way of getting involved with your school. Students can meet new people and make new friends. Joining school activities is also a great way to show your school spirit and this is what Aanrud intends on doing.

“I am going to play hockey. I played hockey for nine years in Norway. I am going to try out for the Everest team. I hope to continue hockey in the future too,” said Aanrud.

Outside of school, all of the exchange students are getting to experience things they would not get to experience in their home countries.

“I went to the Packer game, the Brewers Game, and the Badgers game,” said Perez, “I went with my host mother to the Wisconsin Dells to have a complete day of shopping. I also went to Rhinelander because my host family has a house there and we went tubing. We also spent a weekend in Michigan. We plan to visit Florida and Washington DC on vacation.”

The students are hoping to have an enjoyable year here at D.C Everest and they can’t wait to.take the year head on.