Athlete of the Month (September): Riyah Rudeen

Brooke Sprasky, Sports Editor

Riyah Rudeen, senior at D.C. Everest Senior High School, is a member of D.C. Everest’s Girls Swimming Team. As a team captain, she hopes to pull the swimming team together.

“I think that so far we are having a really good season. As a team captain, I find that our team has gained confidence,” Rudeen said.

Rudeen got started in swimming from the help of her father.

“My dad swam in college and he is a swim coach now, so he got me into the sport at a really young age,” Rudeen said.

Along with pulling the team together, Rudeen has set swimming records throughout her swimming career.

“Last year I was at the relay that went to State, where I broke the state record,” Rudeen said.

Rudeen shows a strong commitment to her team and their plans for success.

“I feel that through my positive attitude and leadership, I set myself as a role model for the rest of the team,” Rudeen said.

As a senior in high school, Rudeen has high goals both academically and athletically.

“Academically, I would like to maintain my 4.0 GPA and prepare myself for college. Athletically, I would like to make it to the State meet again and set some new personal bests,” Rudeen said.

Rudeen is proud of herself for staying academically and athletically inclined.
“I feel very proud academically, especially being able to maintain high academics while achieving high athletic standards. I haven’t decided where I would like to go to college yet, but I am leaning towards majoring in Nursing or Pre-Med,” Rudeen said.

Through Rudeen’s strong confidence in her team, her athleticism, and her high-striving academics, she continues to be an excellent role model for athletes throughout the D.C. Everest School District.