Homework-Helpful or Hurtful

Matti Engen, Reporter

When a teacher announces there will be homework, students have been found to disagree with the idea. Though there’s many conflicts and problems with homework, there are also many benefits.  

Some benefits include the idea of practice, knowing what you need help with and using that to ask for help and see what you need to work on later and prepare for college and life with time management skills as well. 

Homework is a very useful thing when it’s done in a helpful and productive way that follows some guidelines.

Homework is something that should take some time, but not hours and hours of your day to complete.  It should also be something that the students know somewhat how to do so they can do it.  Every once in a while there’s a day you get kind of swamped with homework and that’s fine, but not when it’s a constant everyday thing.  

Some students also have sports, clubs and other extracurricular activities and even things in their own personal life that take so much time and energy that they might not be able to do homework all the time.

Homework can be a lot for students and after a long day of school, it’s the last thing they want to do. Therefore, school can be very draining for students. 

I do understand that struggling is good at times but when the whole homework assignment is something the student doesn’t know can be stressful and they could just give up, or get the answers somewhere else.

Cheating is a huge issue, but it usually happens because of someone not finishing something because they either forgot, didn’t have time, didn’t know how, or they just didn’t feel like doing it. But it also doesn’t help you learn so it shouldn’t be an all the time thing.

When not doing assignments becomes a very common thing for a student, it should bring attention to teachers to try to think about what they’re doing, and how to take off some of the pressure on students.  

When a student didn’t do homework, they should have some reasoning to back it up, and when they do they should be in a way let off, but when it happens often then they should be held accountable. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be consequences, but when it’s a one time or couple time things and they’re a good student honestly just give them a break. School maybe just isn’t their thing because for a lot of students and that’s just how it is. They could have a lot of other things going on that they might not want to talk and open up about.  

Our school has a 1 week policy.  This means that when a homework assignment is late, they have a week to turn it in.  They can turn it in after filling out a form giving an explanation to why they didn’t do it, and a way to fix it or prevent it, and then they give it to the teacher.  Then they will turn in their late assignment.

As a teacher try to put in some effort to reach out to them and try to figure out way to work it out and be understanding. I think most teachers try to be understanding, but they also aren’t always aware when they aren’t. They have a lot of stuff going on too, and a lot of other stressors they deal with. So I don’t think that they should be blamed for it all because it’s not all their fault.  Teachers bring their work home with them, and they do think about students and school stuff often but in a different way than us students.

But it’s also a two way street, students need to be honest and reach out to teachers as well.  You can’t expect teachers to read your minds and just know when you’re struggling you have to try to open up in some way. 

Overall, homework can be very helpful when used correctly but also harmful when not. 

So teachers give students a break sometimes and try to understand and listen to them. Students- It’s ok to not have the motivation to do homework and school work sometimes, but make a plan and don’t let it take over.  Try to reach out and ask for help there’s people here to help including teachers, parents, counselors, and or friends.