Band Preps For Rosebowl

Marching+Band+playing+for+the+September+20th+2022+Homecoming+

Reagan Mischka

Marching Band playing for the September 20th 2022 Homecoming

Brandon Durante, Reporter

This school year select D.C. Everest band students have been presented with the chance to perform at the 133rd annual Rose Bowl Parade on January 2nd. These musicians have the ability to show the world their outstanding talent on a national level.         

Students are traveling to Pasadena, California on a seven day-long trip, in order to perform live in front of roughly 700,000 people as well as on national TV.        

The Rose Bowl Parade, formally known as the “Tournament of Roses,”  is a world famous parade where marching bands across the world are given the chance to show off their true talent. The musicians will be performing alongside the breathtaking floats made up of hundreds of thousands of roses and more than 40 separate bands.

Devon Powers, a D.C. Everest Band Student said, “it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity…  Each year the Tournament of Roses gets a new president.  This year’s president, Amy Wainscott happened to graduate from Northland Pines High School.”  

“When I was elected to the board and knew that I would be president, I wanted to have a band from northern Wisconsin,” said Wainscott.

Wainscott then set up the Northwoods Marching Band, a marching band made up of schools in northern Wisconsin. The band consists of talent from Seven different school districts in the Wisconsin area. They will provide a performance for the whole world to see (D.C. Everest being one of those schools). The band totals 430 students and roughly 100 of these students are from Everest.

In total, the parade is 5 ½ miles long making up a 2 ½ hour parade in which the musicians will bear against the summer heat while carrying their instruments.   

Another D.C. Everest band student who will be attending Lorelei Weirzba said, it takes a lot of teamwork and commitment to get it done, but it’s worth the memories they will make in the long run.  

The band meets weekly to practice and help prepare for their journey ahead.  Come January, the band will assure their efforts have paid off as they wow observers around the world.