The Return of Homecoming

Annita Yang, Annie Czerwonka, Reporters

This year’s return of Homecoming was a huge success due to the Student Council, along with the students of D.C. Everest Senior High School.

Student Council President Emily Jacobson, senior, was head of this year’s parade committee. She took charge of all parade preparation including class floats and providing rides for the Homecoming court. 

Jacobson said this year was quite different from past parades due to new advisors, but preparation went smoothly with the Council’s good communication. There were some complications in the process, but on the day of the parade everything was resolved. It was a fantastic time for all attending the Homecoming Parade.

Jacobson said, “It’s fun being in the parade,” and it is great to see students, staff, and community members on the sidewalk celebrating school spirit.

Student Council Vice President Makenna Kampmann, junior, was in charge of the Homecoming dance. This meant that Kampmann combed through the song requests made by students, via QR code posted to students’ advisors. While this was a new process, Kampmann said there were 627 song requests in total. 

As the following years have been filled with complaints about the music played at the dance, the song request was a new approach to dial down complaints. Kampmann additionally said there were a handful of “joke responses,” or in other words, inappropriate songs requested by students. 

As the school year began, new rules and protocols were made by D.C. Everest Senior High School. New protocols affected the first week of school’s Extended Learning Time, often referred to as ELT. Typically, ELT begins after 10th period from 2:11-2:40 p.m. A new protocol made this school year dedicate the first school days to Advisory. This was to take place between periods 9 and 10, ending the students’ school day with their 10th period.

Kampmann said problems occurred when attempting to schedule meetings with the Student Council, since the first week of school had no ELT time provided. Fortunately, the second week of school was an open window for the Student Council to meet. 

Homecoming fell on Sept. 24, and came around the corner rather quickly, which resulted in committees being unable to form. Even so, the Student Council could still depend on the council board members for a lending hand. 

“So it was left up to the officers—the five kids, to get everything done for Homecoming, and it was a lot,” said Kampmann.

Analyzing the overall execution of 2022’s Homecoming, Kampmann said that she is proud of all the officers and the work they put in, “and I feel like people don’t realize how much Student Council does for that week. They do a lot and they try to make it special for everyone.” 

Another Homecoming event that took place on Sept. 19 was the Powderbuff game, the game concluded with a score of 25-12 and “Kick My Ace” as the victorious team. A total of nine teams played in the tournament which were all divided by grades: three sophomores, two juniors, and three seniors. 

Marcus Hall, a senior playing with the “Kiss My Ace” team said there were no practices for all involved with Powderbuff. The team took the initiative to put themselves ahead by planning their own practice after school. This separate practice, along with their team’s senior Varsity volleyball coach, Braelyn Beiler, greatly helped them towards the win. 

As the night went on, teams were eliminated from the tournament leaving the final match to be played. The game was between “Kiss My Ace” and another senior team. The back and forth match was quickly taken over by the “Kiss My Ace” team. 

Keaton Oettinger ended the night with a killer spike, earning the “Kiss My Ace” team a win and 500 points towards their senior Homecoming score. While the powderbuff tournament ended, the week was only getting started with Evergreens’ many Homecoming activities such as, the Varsity Soccer games, Varsity Football games, and the Powderpuff game.

Powderpuff ended with a tie of 12-12 between Senior and Junior/Sophomore teams, on Sept. 21.

As all of the girls began to prepare for the big game, they practiced on the following days: Sept. 17th, 18th, and the 20th. Both teams had 4-5 Varsity Football players as their coaches.  

The night of the game took place at D.C. Everest Junior High School’s Stiehm Stadium. Players and coaches were advised to arrive at the field by 6 p.m. in order for the players to warm up and stretch properly before the game. After warming up, players needed to check in with the event supervisors, Ms. Lintereur and Ms. Peplinski on field.

Students slowly filled the home, and the away bleachers to show support. Coaches directed their starters out onto the field, the first plays started at 7 p.m. Both teams fought dutifully, but the first to score was the junior/sophomore team. Shortly after, the Seniors amped up their power to gain their own six points. This Powerpuff game was back to back, leading to an overtime. 

In the end, the clock struck zero with a score of 12-12. Crowds and players reluctantly left the field after acknowledging a good game to one another. Dedication can be seen by the many coaches and players involved with powderpuff. 

Junior, Blake Postler, and one of the coaches on the Junior/Sophomore team said, “I am thoroughly impressed with the class of 24-25.” Overall, Postler viewed both the game and the girls who played, in a positive light. 

Alex Yang, junior and player on the Junior/Sophomore powderpuff game, said she would recommend this event for all girls to join. Yang is looking forward to joining next year’s powderpuff in her senior year.

On Sept. 23, the Homecoming Assembly took place at D.C. Everest Senior High. Many fun events were put together by the advisors, Ms. Lintereur, and Ms. Peplinski. Events were: singing the D.C. Everest School Song, playing musical chairs, the 4-way tug-a-war, the powderpuff tie-breaker, the male dance team, and announcing Homecoming court.

Student Council decided on a target practice throw to break the tie from Wednesday night. Coaches were to submit a list of five players from their team to compete in this tie breaker. The target was a simple hula hoop, placed 15 feet away from the throwing line.

Tensions were high with the entire student body watching closely at the tiebreaker. At the moment where the final throw passed through the hoop, many of the Powderpuff players shot out of the bleachers in excitement.

Yang said she felt relieved that her team won. “I felt that we worked so hard—that we deserved this win.” The tiebreaker ended with a score of 5-4, with the Junior/Sophomore powderpuff team securing the win.

This year’s Homecoming king and queen were Brett Kay and Brooklyn Hoffman. The two were announced winners during the end of the Homecoming Assembly.

The two seniors were joined with eight of their classmates as final runner ups for king and queen. Candidates promoted themselves for the two weeks prior to the crowning.

As many of the candidates did, they promoted themselves through flyers scattered across the school.  Hoffman used flyers along with social media platforms. Kay said the Varsity Football team supported him with promotions of homecoming court. 

Both of them joined the court not expecting to win. It was their last chance at being king and queen for Homecoming, and they thought it would be a fun experience even if they didn’t win. Hoffman said her experience was surreal and unique, and would have deeply regretted not participating. 

The events of D.C. Everest Senior High School’s homecoming was accomplished with the help of the school’s Student Council, and participation from the students.