The Myth on Mutli-tasking

Tyanna Low, Reporter

Multi-tasking is very commonly described as something people are great at doing; however, in most cases these people are not great at it at all. Studies show that multitasking is something that people just cannot do. 

The way the human brain works is by using the cerebral cortex to ultimately take control of the brain’s executive controls. The controls are divided into two stages in order to organize the brain’s task processing. The first stage is goal shifting. This happens when you switch your focus from one task to another. The second stage is rule activation. This essentially means that your brain is switching off rules for the previous task, and turning on the rules for the new one, according to “Can People Really Multitask.”

Multi-tasking by definition is, “The performance of more than one task at the same time”, according to Merriam Webster. An example of multitasking can be chewing gum while walking down the street, however that doesn’t take much brain power, and those aren’t actions that need to be thought through. However, students here at D.C. Everest constantly are working to multi-task, whether it be trying to use their phone while listening to a lecture, listening to music while doing homework, or taking notes while watching an educational video. 

Janessa Moua, Senior can’t use or have her phone out while doing homework she said “No, I can’t use my phone while trying to do homework, because it’s a distraction and isn’t helpful to fully understand what you need to learn about. With all the distractions and notifications popping up, it’s easy to give in and go on your phone, which will then lead to not being able to complete what needs to be done.” 

Quick statistics show a person loses 40 percent proficiency when attempting to multitask, and it can take a person up to 15 minutes to get back on track when found distracted.

Sophomore Colin Ebersold thinks he is a good multitasker. “I think I am good at multitasking because I can listen to music while doing homework. I just make a playlist of straight heat, so there’s no skips and get all my  work done.”

According to “Is it Good to Listen to Music While Studying?”music can affect all students differently. The effect is dependent on the student, and how easily distracted they get. If the student is easily distracted, not listening to music would be the better option in terms of getting work done.

Senior, Liberty Christianson said. “Although I can get distracted, I feel like I’m pretty good at checking my surroundings. If I’m sending a message I might prioritize the text and slow down my walking, but I always get where I need to go.”

The human brain cannot give one-hundred percent of focus on more than two tasks at the same time due to the fact that it would put too much stress on it. Concentrating on one task at a time without distractions is the most effective way to complete a task rather than doing more than two at once. The brain can only process one task at a time, so what we’re really doing when we are multitasking is switching from one task to another in rapid succession.