How to Build Helpful Patterns in Society

Evalyn Hoppe, Editor

In day to day life, we build patterns and while some of these patterns may be built subconsciously, sometimes people want to actively work on building patterns in their day to day life. As many people know it’s not always easy to try and get those patterns built, but still are strived for because of a variety of reasons depending on the person. People build different patterns for different reasons and those reasons may make it easier to build patterns as well.

“I started doing my nightly routine around the start of high school, because you start to get really into the flow and the functionality of your life,” said senior Sidney Prechel, who does a beauty routine nightly because she finds it fun and it’s time to herself. 

Patterns can help build a sense of relaxation and oftentimes are used as a stress reliever but others may need to use patterns for other reasons.

If someone needs to take medication once a day at a certain time, and they have a cat they could start giving their cat a treat at the same time they need to take their medication. While said person may forget the cat will not. Just because the cat would have that association it would be easier for said person to remember to take the medication. 

While they could set an alarm on their phone, that could be interfered with. If they aren’t in a place where they can take their medication and they just turn their alarm off they may forget to take it later. 

Many ways can be discussed about how best to build patterns but different ways work better for different people. Alarms may work for some people but others don’t function the same way, similar to how planners work for some and not for others. 

A big part about building patterns is to be mindful of it when first starting off in making it a habit. Thinking that if you don’t do it ‘just this once,’ leads to more of, ‘just that once,’ and oftentimes it can be hard to get back into doing that pattern again. 

One With Now, a blog that helps people build helpful tools in people’s lives says “Cravings of a good habit can be a strong motivation to start again. We’ll want to avoid the pain  of the nagging thoughts and seek the pleasure of satisfying the cravings. Also, resuming an old habit is easier than forming a new one. We’ll experience less resistance as we recall the skills we developed in the past.”

Stopping a habit often isn’t the goal unless it’s a bad habit but even so, starting one time can make it easier to reincorporate back into your day when trying it again. If someone wanted to exercise more and they tried to run in the afternoon and they did so consistently for one or two weeks; but then something got in the way, be it schedule, area, or just getting busy in life.

Something new to try would be a different time, the physical running part would already be easier to do, because it’s already been done, now just a new time is something to look for. While it’s not always easy to find time, being mindful and making it a priority out of it will make finding time for it easier.

Week Plan wrote an article called “15 Key Tips to Develop Good Habits that Work” also bringing in other factors such as getting support from people around you, identifying issues that may be in the way of your success and tips on how to identify them. 

Week plan said, “Remember that slipping up on a good habit is normal, not a failure. What makes the real difference between people who adopt good habits and those who give up is a good plan to deal with failure.”