New Girls Basketball Coach Koleman Schilling

Conner McFarlane, Editor

Earlier this summer, the D.C. Everest Area School District announced the hiring of the new girls varsity basketball head coach, Koleman Schilling after the recent departure of former head coach, Matt Bullis.

Bullis was the coach for the Evergreens since 2010, and compiled a 113-57 record along with 3 Wisconsin Valley Conference Championships, and an appearance in the 2015 State Championship game.

Schilling, who currently works in the Everest School District as an educational assistant, attended the University of Wisconsin – Lacrosse, and majored in sports management. While at Lacrosse, he served as a student assistant coach for the school’s basketball team, and then later as a director of basketball operations.

Schilling’s coaching career began in 2017, when he became the assistant girls basketball coach at the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point at Wausau, then later became the head coach in 2019. Schilling also currently coaches a 16u AAU boys basketball team throughout the summer, and is an assistant baseball coach at Everest.

“The timing of the position opening up couldn’t have been any better”, explained Schilling, “There wasn’t going to be a basketball team at UWSP at Wausau anymore. I’m excited as DCE has a rich history and tremendous program that I want to continue to build.”

The girls team this year has a chance to be pretty competitive according to Schliing, as there are six returning seniors from last year, including a couple starters. 

“I’m really excited for this year to begin, I’ve been looking forward to it since I got hired back in May. My expectation for the season is that we compete every day that we step on the floor and continue to push ourselves and our teammates to constantly get better,” said Schilling.

Communication, trust, leadership, and pride are the four traits Schilling finds most important in being a successful coach. To him, being a successful coach means he wants to help everyone become not only a better player on the floor, but also a better person off the floor.