Everest grad and local business owner started his future while still in high school

Former Everest student Jim Pinsonneault loved working with metal, and took all the classes offered before he graduated. Today he owns and operates his own automobile repair shop.

For students looking toward a career in the technical field, the high school provides numerous opportunities to gain industry experience, earn certifications and even college credits.

Jim Pinsonneault, the owner of Patriot Auto, didn’t know what he wanted to do when he was growing up.

“I liked to work with my hands and I liked problem solving,” Pinsonneault said.

Jim Pinsonneault in front of his business Patriot Auto. Photo by Carson Woller and Jarret Imlach.

While in high school at D. C. Everest, Jim took all metals classes that were allowed, and he would ask what the next class would be. After being told that there weren’t any more metals classes he could take, he then brought up the subject of other students being able to leave to go to another higher level class off campus, and he wanted to do that with his metals class.

The school allowed him to take a welding class at Northcentral Technical College his senior year. He would still end up coming back to the high school for one or two classes but then he would leave again. 

After graduating, he worked a few different jobs in the welding field. 

“The last place I was employed at, they finished this big long project,” said Pinsonneault. “They didn’t have another project starting at the end of the contract, so they laid us off. A couple of days later 9/11 happened, it was kind of a life changing event for me,” said Mr. Pinsonneault.

9/11 would lead him into his career in the Marines working on military vehicles because he wanted something to translate to life after. When he took the ASVAB, a military test that tells someone what job they are eligible for in the United States military, he scored pretty high, so he had a lot of opportunities for careers in the Marine Corps.

At D. C. Everest Senior High School, someone who works with students who had similar career goals as Mr. Pinsonneault is Aaron Hoffman, Career Technical Advisor. He oversees the DC Everest Technical and family consumer business marketing and Ag. department from grades six to twelve.

Hoffman wants to lay out the different paths for students to choose from, even if that would be the military or a four year college. 

“A negative connotation, even about the word of work,” Hoffman said. “Some people think that the only avenue to success is through a four year institution.”

Hoffman hasn’t yet met Pinsonneault, but Hoffman does serve on the Wisconsin Automotive and Truck Association (WATA), which Pinsonneault has recently joined. Hoffman plans to reach out to Pinsonneault in the near future to set something up with him. 

When students are considering a career path, Mr. Pinossault’s is one he found through both school and life experience, but students may find those avenues sooner with the help of Mr. Hoffman because of his reach into the community that opens doors and opportunities for students to pursue with the benefit of still being a student. 

Cody Klobucnik, senior, is following a career path as a Computer Numerical Control, CNC,  Programmer. 

“Through the school’s Youth Apprenticeship Program, I am allowed to operate machines at Crystal Finishing.  I’ve been learning some programming on five axis machines, and it’s helping me before college having hands-on experiences with these machines,” said Klobucnik.

A five axis machine is a machine that runs along the X, Y and Z axis along with the A and B axis. It is usually for making angled cuts. Klobucnik said that the school has fulfilled his needs to become a CNC Programmer by offering classes and allowing him to get hands-on experiences to further his knowledge.