Meet Jacob Coenen English Teacher

Peter Thao, Reporter

When walking down the English department you may see a teacher who looks like Mr Coenen from the math department. Well his name is Jacob Coenen the son of Mr. Coenen. Mr. Coenen teaches Creative Writing and English 10. 

Mr. Coenen went to college and wanted to be a social studies teacher but found out that it was what he wanted to do but found English is something he is interested in. Coenen’s mom definitely made an impact on why he wanted to be in the English department. Since both of his parents are teachers, he admits they helped him become a teacher, but he said it was mostly his choice to become one. 

Mr. Jacob Coenen at his desk teaching his English 10 class. Photo by Mr. Fike.

“Especially having a household with teachers made me want to be one but it was mostly my decision.” Mr. Coenen said.

What Mr. Coenen believes about learning is, “Failure is how we learn the best.” One way he  keeps the students on track and keeps them going in class is by having their desks into little pods, and having them discuss while there so they don’t have to listen to someone talking and teaching for an hour.

Some of his hobbies outside of school is that he is huge into football and also played in college. “Big movie fan, outdoors man,” he said.  He also grew up on the D.C. Everest sidelines with his dad, who spent many years coaching.  As a result, he spent a lot of time on football and practicing. His dad has had a lot of impact on his football coaching career.  

His overall teaching statement that he wants to pass on is from Star Wars’  character Yoda: “Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.”