Girls hockey makes state

Senior Holly Wasmundt maneuvers the puck during the semi-finals game Feb. 14. Photo courtesy of Holly Wasmundt. Used with permission.

Thaying Lor, Reporter

The Storm Girls Hockey team yet again made it to the State for the 13th time in the last 14 years. In the State semifinals they would face off Chippewa Falls again after losing to them in December. 

Final standings for this season, with a total of 16 games played, girls hockey successfully secured 11 wins and 5 losses. Those results put them into the State semifinals where they nearly pulled off a win, but fell 4-3 to the CFM Sabers during overtime.

Prior to the second match-up with Chippewa Falls, senior Holly Wasmundt shared her thoughts.

“Our plans for the State SemiFinals is to go out on the ice and give it our all. We’re going to make sure we do the little things right, run our systems, and do our best to shut down the other team,”    

Head Coach Jacques DuVair, who brings a lot of experience as a coach and former hockey player with a combined experience of 44 years, said after the game, “I certainly feel like our girls gave everything they had in the Chippewa game.  We outshot them 33-17 and controlled long stretches of the game.  We just made some mistakes in crucial moments that they were able to capitalize on.  Overall, I am unbelievably happy with this group and all that they did this season.  We were so close to a state title.  I’m proud to have been a part of it.”

The Girls Hockey team was able to bring the game into overtime as the score was three to three. Playing with everything they had, Chippewa scored during overtime ending the Girls Hockey team’s season. Though the ending score came out four to three with Chippewa winning the game. That just sets motivation for the next seasons to come. 

“My plans for next year are to regroup and retool this team to make another competitive run at the state title,” said DuVair.

Along with the season ending, this could be the  last time stepping on the ice, but the memories made throughout the past seasons will never be forgotten. 

“My time spent on the team was amazing. I made great friendships with so many of the girls. My favorite memory is beating Fox Cities to go to state this year. They were the #1 team in the state with some of the best hockey players in the state too so needless to say the odds were against us. But we all poured our hearts out into the game and were able to win 5-1, which was truly the best feeling in the world because all of our hard work paid off,” Wasmundt said.  “My message to the underclassmen is to not take any moment for granted and go as hard as you can every shift, so that when your high school hockey career is over you don’t have any regrets.”

After the game against Chippewa, sophomore Carly Czerwinski also had some thoughts to share about her season. “It is incredibly amazing to play on such a successful team. Even with COVID and the pandemic we did our best to overcome the obstacles we encountered throughout the season and to have the most successful season as possible. I feel as an underclasswoman that I have big shoes to fill with the seniors leaving, especially with younger girls moving up to the high school team.”Czerwinski adds on. “The upperclassmen have big shoes to fill, especially with being role models to the underclassman. Even with the seniors leaving, this team will always remain like a family and the sisterhood bond will carry on forever.”

To the graduating seniors, coach DuVair had some final thoughts to share.

“The seniors on this year’s Storm team were an amazing group. To make it through the season in which they had to manage and do it successfully as they did speaks volumes about who they are. They are a great group who I know I will miss greatly next year.”