Wrestling family history

Wrestling seems to run in the Lehrke family. Freddy Lehrke displays the moment he achieved his 100th win.

Gus Johnson, Reporter

There are no words more synonymous with D.C. Everest Wrestling than the last name Lehrke. Starting in the 1970s, Fred Lehrke became one of the most accomplished wrestling coaches in state history, winning three team state championships and multiple individual state champions.

His success carried over to his sons that he coached. Eric, who is now head wrestling coach at Everest, was a state finalist and wrestled for the University of Minnesota. His other son Fritz, also a coach for the team, was a state champion and an NCAA All-American at Michigan.

Now a senior, Freddy Lehrke, son of Fritz, is one of the top wrestlers in the state at 160 pounds. He has had a very accomplished career becoming a three time Wisconsin Valley Conference Champion, a two time state qualifier, a regional and sectional champion, and recently passed the 100 career win milestone. He also placed fourth in the 160 pound weight class at the 2021 WIAA State individual championships.

The differences between Freddy and his father Fritz in terms of wrestling style are large. Freddy says that his style is more technique and speed based while his dad’s style of wrestling was more about strength and toughness based. He says that a lot of this difference is because of the advancement of technique in the sport and the increasing amount of out of season clubs so that kids can learn and continuously get better.

Besides being very talented on the mat, Freddy is also a leader for the other wrestlers both by words and through his actions. 

Captain and practice partner Demitrio Covarrubias said, “Freddy is a great competitor and an even better teammate. Freddy has been there for all of us during his career. He’s been one of my closest friends and my biggest rival. I respect him as an athlete and as a man.” 

Freddie said, about what helped him the most, “Probably wrestling outside of high school at different clubs just because I get to wrestle new kids and you get different feels. It’s not the same old kids that you see at high school practice, and then also learning new techniques at these clubs and getting other coaches’ perspectives on their techniques, so I can keep building my arsenal of moves and stuff and keep trying that stuff out. The biggest thing that helped me make a jump this year is that I took lifting really serious, and I’d lift almost every day. Then also trying out a new club called Crass Trained and getting to work out with state champions and state placers there helped a lot.”