Work Overload

Caitlin Grisham, Editor

Since students have come back to school this semester there are many questions from both the student and teacher side trying to figure out how this school year will work, especially because students are attending school forty percent of the time.

But, in the process has there been a work overload students have been dealing with? Teachers are doing their best to make sure we as students are learning the necessary materials we need to succeed as adults and graduate, but in the meantime there’s a lot of extra work students are doing to keep up.

There is a certain amount of material students need to understand by certain points in the year, but with smaller classes and more classes for the teachers, students are being buried with homework. With the addition of ELT being moved to all day on top of Friday classes there is more work than time to get done. It becomes very easy to get left behind.

It feels like we aren’t expected to spend just an hour a day per-class like if we were attending school every day; instead, it’s almost as if we are expected to work until our work is completed which often leads to more than an hour of work per day. The thought is we “have more time” to get it done, which in reality, is far from true. If all classes are expecting that, how much time do we really have when it’s all added up?

So, how much is too much work? How much screen time is okay for online learning? How much school should we be doing a day? Because of Covid19, the expectations of all of these have changed. The original recommendation of screen time per day was two hours. Having school five days a week in person, the workload felt different.

Teachers have said that about fifty percent of their students are doing the work either way right now. If this is true, could it be because of the lack of motivation, or because they aren’t understanding the material and feel as if by being silent they can keep it hidden long enough for it to slide underneath the radar? Either way, there is a problem.

According to Mental Health America (MHA), “Feeling overloaded can seriously damage your mind and body, making you more vulnerable to physical and mental health problems. While stress is inevitable, and not inherently bad, it’s important to find healthy ways to deal with it.”

We’re barely two months into the school year, and if students are feeling overwhelmed already what does that say for the rest of the year?