Coronavirus causes uncertainty through country

Breanna Narlock, Editor

With the widespread fear of the Coronavirus, and the World Health Organization (WHO) declaring the Coronavirus a pandemic, one must wonder what is going on and what is the government doing to prevent the spread of the virus, the widespread fear and panic throughout the world, throughout our nation, throughout Wi., and throughout our community.

The Coronavirus, otherwise known as COVID-19, is a respiratory illness, which is spread through coughing, or sneezing. They are named for the crown-like spikes on the surface of the virus.

Symptoms for the virus include a fever, cough, runny nose, and/or shortness of breath.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) urges people, in order to prevent spreading, to stay home when sick, cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and throw it away. Washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds especially before eating and after going to the bathroom, blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Another step to prevent spread is to clean/disinfect frequently touched objects. 

Cases in the United States alone surpassed 5,000 as of March, 17. Wisconsin has 47 confirmed cases in several counties: Dane: 10, Fond du Lac: 11, Milwaukee: 13, Outagamie: 1, Pierce: 1, Racine: 1, Sheboygan: 3, Waukesha:3, Winnebago: 3, Wood: 1, with one recovery. And more than 550 tests have been recorded in Wisconsin.

Governor Tony Evers stated all public schools are to close by Wednesday, March 18 at 5pm for at least two weeks until April 6.

The D.C. Everest School District has worked in consultation with the Marathon County Health Departments in regards to the situation at hand. The district made the decision to close schools Monday, March 16. The week prior to the regular spring break will be used as snow days and off-site learning will begin March 30. 

The district, along with the community, has also come together to help serve in a conventional Grab-and-Go Bags of food for the community. It will begin March 18 and will be available going forward Monday-Friday. 

The Grab-and-Go Bags will be available in the following parking lots: D.C. Everest Middle School — 10:30am-12:30pm, D.C. Everest Senior High School — 10:30am-12:30pm, Evergreen Elementary — 10:30am-12:30pm, Hatley Elementary — 10:30am-12:30pm, Rothschild Elementary — 10:30am-12:30pm, Weston Elementary — 10:30am-12:30pm. GD Jones Elementary — 11:00am-11:20am, Hawthorn Hills Elementary — 12:05pm-12:30pm, Horace Mann Middle School — 11:00am-11:20am, Jefferson Elementary — 11:00am-11:20am, Lincoln Elementary/MOB — 11:30am-12:00pm, Riverview Elementary — 11:30am-11:50am, Wausau West High School — 11:30am-12:00pm.

The Everest School District is also providing updates as soon as possible through the websites for each school. A letter addressed to parents and guardians, from principals at the Senior High, Junior High, and Middle School, dated March 16, 2020, said “As we navigate these unchartered waters, we will work to be flexible with our families and students.  The most important focus, at this time, is to assist students and families based on their individual needs and capabilities.”

The letter also urges students to stay updated with Canvas, check their email consistently, and contact teachers if accommodations are needed. The course content will be delivered in a virtual or at home (remote) format.

This is a historical time for students, teachers, and the community and the number one thing to remember is to be patient and vigilant during the next few weeks.