Students plunge into Sunnyvale Park for Special Olympics

Cooper Bradfish, Reporter

Jumping into frigid water in the middle of February in Wisconsin may make some wary at first, but students are jumping in for a good cause. 

Fifteen D.C. Everest students are taking part in an annual Polar Plunge held to benefit the Special Olympics.

“The gist of it is that you have to donate seventy-five to jump in a hole into freezing cold water at Sunnyvale Park,” said senior and Student Council member Elle Hersperger. 

Many are looking to benefit the cause, but for one Everest junior, they are also carrying on a tradition started by her older sister.

“My sister brought the polar plunge idea to school to get the student body more involved and aware of the Special Olympics so after she graduated I wanted to keep it going,” said Emma Radies, sister of 2019 Graduate Libby Radies, who started the Polar Plunge. 

Student Council was also able to put on a bake sale prior to the Plunge to cut costs for the students looking to donate.

Following the sale of hundreds of baked goods, Student Council lowered the personal donation by participants to fifty seven dollars and encouraged them to continue to find other ways of fundraising, according to Hersperger. 

Ultimately, no matter the cost, students are able to understand the cause at hand, the Special Olympics, and are willing to devote their time and money to make a difference.

“Knowing that our school is helping to contribute to the Special Olympics by raising money, awareness, and people actually wanting to jump into the ice cold water for it is really cool,” said Radies. 

Student Council President William Vraney, who is also participating in the jump and recognizing the importance of the event said, “The Polar Plunge is a great way to give back to our community through the Special Olympics.”