Hooked on a feeling: The addiction of caffeine in energy drinks

Eve Hoover, Reporter

Energy drink sales in the United States have increased significantly over the last few years. In 2015, sales amounted to 2.8 billion dollars and raised to around 3.4 billion by 2019. 

Popularity of energy drinks have surged as the need to be caffeinated assists students throughout their school day. 

Unpopular, is the knowledge that students have on the effects of the caffeinated drinks and the damage they can cause to one’s body in multiple ways. 

“The effects of energy drinks cause high blood pressure and the addiction factor,” said Mike Plaza, health teacher at D.C. Everest Senior High. “The big thing is that there are components in the drink that accelerate the effects of caffeine that are not FDA approved. I would never recommend energy drinks to children.”

Caffeine is known to be addictive. It releases dopamine into the brain, making the consumer feel good, causing them to want more. 

“I drink energy drinks to wake up, and it makes my day very interesting,” said junior Ethan Proulx. 

Caffeine has also been referred to as a drug. When used carefully, it is not dangerous, but with its addictive property, is it possible to use caffeine carefully?

“By drinking so many energy drinks, I’ve had to start drinking more and more to feel the effects which isn’t very healthy,” said Proulx. “But, when I try to stop, I get headaches and get really tired because I go through withdrawals.”

Students around D.C. Everest can be seen with a variety of energy drinks from Red Bull to Monster, and Bang. 

DECA Depot sells energy drinks like Red Bull, Monster, and even Starbucks coffee.