Mr. Evergreen Pageant 2020

Cooper Bradfish, Reporter

DC Everest DECA decided to make this years annual Mr. Evergreen Pageant in efforts to make a local second grade student’s dreams come true, who has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. 

Mr. Evergreen is a fundraising pageant that allows contestants to show off their “talents” for a good cause. Everest’s DECA Advisor Mrs. Jodi Peterson said, “[It’s] a spoof of a beauty pageant.”  

Each contestant gets judged on three different parts of the competition, starting with each contestant answering a random question, meanwhile they are also judged on the amount of Everest spirit they wear, and finally they demonstrate their “talents” according to junior Emma Footit, who is behind a lot of the organizing of this event along with junior Ashlyn Lewis.

“We came up with this idea last year when Mrs. Peterson told me that our chapter has been wanting so do it for around 20 years but no one has ever taken the initiative to do it,” said Footit, “I joined the creative marketing class and we made it happen!” 

The unique event raised a total over $300 in last years pageant, and this year they hope to raise even more, as this year the proceeds will go to Lucas (last name), a second grader in the district, who suffers from Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, but through the Make-A-Wish Foundation will be able to go to Arizona for the Milwaukee Brewers spring training. 

“We have put in a lot of time and effort to make this work, but in the end it’s all worth it because I know that our time pays off by helping Lucas and creating an entertaining event for the community,” Footit said.