One Size Does Not Fit All

One common phrase, “one size fits all” is commonly used in everyday talk of clothing sizes.
The Jet staff believes that this term describes how the dress code is enforced at the D.C. Everest
Senior High School.
We believe that one size does not fit all, meaning the dress code for some females may be
completely okay due to their body shape, but for another girl who has thicker thighs or a larger
chest, the way clothing fits is going to be completely different.
What the dress code does not take into account the variety of bodies that women have. One
woman could have a tiny chest and have no problem meeting the “no cleavage” part of the dress
code, but another could have a G cup sized chest and have a very hard time finding shirts that
meet that part of the dress code.
From the student handbook, reading the dress code, it states, “Clothing should always
completely cover the torso from above chest cleavage to mid-thigh. Clothing items such as
backless tops, halter tops, strapless tops and tube tops are not allowed.”
Reviewing the statement above clearly shows that it is biased against women, referencing
cleavage and clothing only women would typically wear. Nowhere in the dress code does it state
any specific rules or statements directed specifically towards male students, unless guys wear the
above.
Mr. Mike Raether, principal at D.C. Everest Senior High School on the topic stresses meeting
school expectations. He is very open to students dressing as they please as long as they follow
the school guidelines.
“We don’t want guys walking around in Speedos or our females in bikinis,” said Mr. Raether.

Many students understand the dress code is to enforce appropriate clothing and in other cases
like hats and backpacks not to be worn as a safety precaution.
We believe, on the other hand, that while some rules for the dress code do apply, the dress
code is extremely biased towards women, in the sense that it sexualizes women’s bodies unfairly.
We are questioning why the dress code is teaching girls that their bodies are distracting to
boys and their ability to learn due to girls body shape they have no control over.
Inadvertently this teaches females that their learning is less important. In cases where it is
“distracting” why must the females cover up, why can the males not learn to focus?
As a staff we understand that males have less to show off, but we also believe that women
should not have to conform to certain standards based on having body parts that are natural.
“We have a lot of latitude with our dress code, and we could completely rewrite it if we wanted
to and be a lot stricter, but we want students to be able to express themselves while not
displaying drugs, alcohol, or any sexual references,” said Mr. Raether.
We feel the dress code interrupts school days more than it helps, with students getting sent
home or having to put on gym clothes or a sweatshirt. Students already have a lot of anxiety and
telling them the clothes they wear and are comfortable in are not appropriate.
Instead, we believe that forcing a student to change into clothes that they are less comfortable
in.
Overall, the dress code makes it harder for a female to function during the school day and we
believe it is more accurate to say that dress coding a student disrupts their learning. Although
males students do get dress coded for certain clothing choices, such as wearing a hat, our
perspective is on addressing the bias towards female students.