Umbrella of Hope

Breanna Narlock, Editor-in-Cheif

Umbrella of Hope is a student led organization at D.C. Everest dedicated to decreasing the stigma around mental health and providing support for those who suffer from it. 

The group started when last year, Claire Tesch, now a sophomore spoke at the variety show about her experiences with bullying and how she got cosmetic surgery because of it. 

Mrs. Brooke Davis, the advisor of the group, contacted Tesch and they formed a group of people Tesch thought would be interested and were nice. Other girls involved in the project include; Lauryn Wimmer, Abby Kurszewski, Allison Honkanen, and Hailey Panzer.

“This year we’ve started actually spreading and advertising ourselves. we still have a long way to go,” said sophomore Abby Kurszewski. “We have plans to speak to the Mega Powers Elt and get our group out through announcements, emails, and focusing on different topics each month.

Goals the girls have and hope to accomplish within the coming school year include, Developing a student led panel that addresses mental health for the Senior High at a staff meeting. 

Goal number two for the group is to communicate and advertise the group mission and their vision to all of the schools within the D.C. Everest District.

Expanding the membership of Umbrella of Hope with the inclusion of all different backgrounds and cultures being represented is the third goal for the group.

“We all touched on anxiety and stress. Hailey and I talked about our depression, while Claire talked about bullying. Allison and Lauryn mainly handled stress and balancing schoolwork with sports/life in general. the teachers sent in really great questions,” said Kurszewski.

So far the girls within the group have completed the first goal as they spoke to the entire staff for the first part of their November staff meeting.

“We spoke to the staff for the first part of their November staff meeting. I’ll be honest, I was shaking like a leaf before we started. It was so nerve wracking, even more so because I’d planned on coming clean about my own struggles,” said Kurszewski. “We showed data from the Marathon County Youth Risk Behavior Survey that was given out last year. I remember taking it for fit for life. after we shared the data, we moved onto the panel.” 

Although the group is only five girls for now, they have plans to expand the group and reach out to many more students and parts of the community throughout the school and hopefully the district.