Scrunchies business on the rise

Aliya Surti and Eve Hoover

Students at D.C. Everest are encouraged to make their own businesses as a part of business classes, but some start their own outside of school.

Allison Honkanenn, sophomore, is just one of the many students who have their own business.   

“I first started this business to earn money to buy a car but it has definitely been so much more than that! Having my own business is such a learning experience and I’m so thankful for everything that has brought me to where I am,” Honkanenn said.

Honkanenn sells scrunchies because the idea came to her while she was on Instagram.  She originally sold bracelets, but switched to scrunchies because she thinks they are cute and trendy and are more fun to make than bracelets.

She spends around thirty minutes on five to ten scrunchies.  She has always been passionate about entrepreneurship and being in charge of her own business. 

“I started this business a few months ago, so I have room to improve but I have gotten very far from when I started. I am very proud of my business,” Honkanenn said. “I think that not many people my age would start something like my business, it’s not what everyone else is doing. I would say that it has been a great learning experience and I’m so excited to see where this takes me.”

Jodi Peterson is the marketing foundations, business management, finance, and creative marketing solutions teacher at D.C. Everest Senior High School.  Part of her curriculum is for students to manage their own business.

“There’s two things in life. You’re either going to be the employee or employer.  I encourage being the employer, work for yourself, make your own rules,” Peterson said.  “You either work for yourself and make your dream or work for others and build theirs.”

She loves that students keep their businesses and she hopes more students decide to because it will help them in their future as leaders and workers.

“Start, just decide, just do it!  You can’t wish it to happen. You just have to start it.  That’s the difference between us and entrepreneurs in life, they just decided to do it,” Peterson said. 

Students in the past have continued their high school businesses into the future.  Peterson believes that starting in school can lead to a better future business with the experience they get.

“I would definitely love to run a larger, more successful business in the future,” Honkanenn said.  “I think that starting out small and working up to something bigger is going to help me be more successful and figure out what works and doesn’t work.”

Honkanenn has been selling on Instagram but has started her own website recently.  She also sells at farmers’ markets and festivals in the area.

Allison can be found on instagram: @allisons.scrunchies or online at allisons-scrunchies.weebly.com