Yearbooks create a legacy of your time at school

Yearbooks creates a time capsule of sorts
for all those who attended D.C. Everest
Photo by Jameson Morgan

Yearbooks creates a time capsule of sorts for all those who attended D.C. Everest Photo by Jameson Morgan

Ben Van Setters, Reporter

Generally, yearbooks get a bad rap; not only for leaving memories with students who don’t cherish their high school experience, but also for being a booster of egotisms and an outright popularity contest. In fact, the overall use of yearbooks has diminished in the face of new social media, allowing for students to share memories without paying the hefty amount required to get them in print. And on the topic of price, some students simply just don’t see buying a yearbook as worth the cost.

However, to most students the traditional method of keeping high school sentiments is worth it. Jordan Tatro, a senior at DC Everest, wants to keep her high school memories, “I want to be able to look back on it when I’m old,” said Tatro, “I want something to show to my (eventual) kids from when I was younger.”

And it means even more to those behind the yearbook. Miss Kemp, an English teacher at Everest and the Yearbook Club Advisor, argues that the year book is not only a collection of cherished memories from the students, but also a representation of hard work from the Yearbook Club Staff.

“They know that it takes a lot of hard work to get it in on time and to do a good job with it,” said Kemp, “Most people don’t realize how much work they put into it.”

And that hard work isn’t just wasted. As one of the only things students pay for in High School, the Yearbook club is reminded by Kemp to be at their best so that they have something special to hand out to the students.

“They’re paying a lot of money for it, so we want it to be as good of a representation of our work as we can,” she added, “most students appreciate the yearbook, and are happy to see the types of photos that we have to really capture the memories of the year.”