Plastic cutlery out, steel in

Back to Article
Back to Article

Plastic cutlery out, steel in

Breanna Narlock, Editor

Starting April 22, the D.C. Everest Senior High School changed from plastic silverware to metal silverware. This change is an attempt to save money for the school but also to cause less waste within the environment and community.

After a news story about waste in school lunches, two girls made the initiative for change in the cafeteria. After the fact of an estimated 3,000 pieces of silverware are thrown away in one week if only half the student body uses them, two girls Charlie Alves and Lydia Ellis, sophomores contacted Laticia Baudhuin, head of the food service department for the DC Everest School district.

“I read in The Jet that there were 3,000 utensils being thrown away, and I thought that was way too many and I have always been super passionate with the environment,” said Alves

To start the process, the girls decided to get in contact with another school that had already switched to metal silver and ask where to start.

“I contacted the principal at Riverside [Elementary] because they had switched over to metal and then he contacted Laticia, and I got ahold of her about this project and she said we could meet. Then we ended up meeting and it was a passion for the environment that started this,” said Alves.

As the girls spoke with Baudhuin through emails and face-to-face meetings, they developed a plan to make the change.

“When we met with her, she had the logistics taken care of but it was our job to get the word out to students about the change. We were supposed to make posters and remind students not to throw away their metal silverware.” said Ellis

With the math calculated, in one week it is about 3,000 pieces, in one month it is about 12,000 plastic utensils thrown away, and in one school year it is an estimated 120,000 plastic silverware pieces thrown away.

The other object to be taken into consideration is the plastic cups, paper boats and all other waste materials that are thrown away. As Everest does not recycle, everything that is thrown away ends up making its way to a landfill, affecting the environment negatively.

“It will be a decent amount more in the beginning and it will be more expensive to start off but in the long run it will be very cost effective,” said Alves.