Continuous improvement throughout your life

Jameson Morgan, Reporter

When teachers were asked what they want most in students, an Article by ThoughtCo, ranked third was the ability to see their weakness and make a diligent effort to improve that weakness. While that may be easy for some students, most of us struggle to make a conscious effort to improve our weaknesses. But why? We can identify our weakness, and understand how we can improve. The key may lay in our mindset. In education-related goals, there are two primary mindsets- fixed and growth.

Growth mindset is the belief that one’s abilities are limitless. Any hardships in the path to growth is simply an obstacle which will be overcome. A fixed mindset is a belief that one’s abilities are fixed- their capabilities are capped at their current level. In education and learning, where continuous improvement is a benchmark of achievement, believing that your abilities are limited can be detrimental to their development.

Why do people have this belief? The reason for this mental disease may have its roots in child psychology. Throughout a child’s development, they were likely complimented on their natural capabilities. For example, if you did well on a test, the remark from your teacher was probably about how smart how you were. What psychologists are determining to be more effective praise is the effort or changeable things.  For example, if you did well on a test, the more effective praise will say that it was an effort that allowed you to get a high mark.

This can contribute to a declining sense of confidence of students in their capabilities. This problem is especially evident in the United States, where educational prestige has been declining in recent years. The belief that students, in a more than the ever globalized world have competed in a truly worldly sense, may have lessened confidence.

An underlying problem may be students dependence on technologies. Machines have capabilities beyond what the team of Harvard Lauriets is capable of doing, even the ones you might possess in your pocket. When surrounded by so many amazing machines, one’s capabilities may seem meaningless and effort futile.

While this may seem very gloomy, overall most people do not have a fixed mindset. Most people have achieved things they never thought were possible, from buying a dream home to getting the promotion. None of those things were achieved on merely talent or ability alone. They all took long years of planning and dedication to constantly pursuing their goals. Growth was first started empowered by internal desire.

As it relates to school, growth is the fruit of desire and effort. So in school, if you don’t want to improve, you won’t. But that doesn’t mean that you should improve in whatever that subject is. Everyone’s parents have probably told them a thousand times that work makes play possible. To afford that house or to be considered for the promotion, you must make the difficult process of improving yourself.

To strive for more than what we are capable of is something that is essential for the continuation of society. Even more so, it is a vital part f growing up and becoming more mature is pushing yourself to expand. Every job interview, college class, the risk is a place where a person pushes themselves.

To do that, one must have a growth mindset. A growth mindset allows for growth and leaves a person with almost limitless potential. It is incredible to think that simply changing the way that you think can transform the person you can become, but it is true. The ignition of this change is the internal belief in your innate capacity to grow.