Interview process promotes student input

Back to Article
Back to Article

Breanna Narlock and Claire Gelhaus

As this 2018-2019 school year has progressed, replacements for Mrs. Grosskreutz and the new Strength and Conditioning Coordinator were met with a two part process. Teachers from the department and a couple administrators, along with around 15 students were allowed to judge a lesson plan from each candidate, and a separate formal closed interview occurred.

“It’s so important to include students in this process in order to get an accurate feel for how they will be with real students because different people have different perspectives,” said Senior Ariana Mueller, who participated in the english teacher interview.

While it is easier to reach a stalemate because of many different opinions, opening up the process helps find the best candidate for our school.

“We’re hiring this person to work with students, so I want student input in terms of is this person is gonna be a good fit for the students we have here at Everest,” said D. C. Everest Senior High Principal Mr. Michael Raether.

More “voices in the room” allows for both department heads and administrators to pick— as well as students to ensure the candidates wins a great fit for everyone.

“It [student input] holds more weight than people would imagine, and student input matters cause it gives more valuable feedback,” said Raether.

Raether recalls a time at an earlier position where all teachers and administrators had in mind a candidate the students watching disliked greatly. By including students, this sort of circumstance is prevented from happening after the candidate is hired.

“I think it’s very important to include students. A lot of times, what makes teachers impressive to students is wildly different from what makes them impressive to adults,” said participant Shea Johnson, junior. “In the end it’s the students who this decision will affect the most and it’s important that they have some agency over their learning.”

Junior Cathy Dozer also helped with the interview process, but was wary students could abuse the opportunity.

“While it seemed risky at first as some students may mistreat this opportunity, I don’t think it was too large of a decision [for teenagers to make],” said Dozer

Many students and faculty can expect to see the process continue throughout the future. As Raether explains the value of student and faculty opinion.

“I believe it is important to have input from a lot of stakeholders,” said Raether. “So I believe having more people in the room than less and as long as I have a say in the process then the process is gonna have more people involved than less.”