Census Bureau searching for student employees

Alli Heckert, Reporter

The United States government will start collecting responses for the 2020 Census this summer, and they are recruiting Marathon County locals to help with the process.

Those above the age of 18, may apply; however there is a long list of qualifications to be considered as a possible census taker.   

Social Studies Coordinator Paul Aleckson went around to some senior classrooms, informing students of the opportunity for a high-paying, summer job.

“I was just speaking to kids who are 18 looking for a summer job, I know they pay around $13 for training and $15 for after training,” Aleckson said about his time spent notifying students of the new opportunity. He says that area-recruiter contacted him about talking to kids about the jobs available.

Not only is the census used for configuring the United States demographics but it also helps determine federal districts, representation in the senate, and distribution of federal aid.

The federal website for the census,  2020census.gov/jobs, claims that the majority of the jobs for the summer will in the department of address canvassing,  “address canvassing operation will be made in the summer of 2019. Several thousand positions will be available throughout the country.” Address canvassing pertains to delivering a database of accurate addresses and characteristics of the neighborhood.

“The government spends a lot of money to get it right,” said Aleckson. The Census Bureau is offering thousands of temporary jobs to help complete the report.

The Bureaus states that workers will be paid a “competitive wage” that includes “flexible hours, weekly pay, and employees doing fieldwork are reimbursed for authorized work-related expenses such as mileage.”

This will be the first census under President Trump’s administration, and the United States government is adding onto the 2020 census, mandating a mandatory citizenship question attached.

It would ask “Is this person a citizen of the United States?”, reported Hansi Lo Wang for NPR.

This line of questioning hasn’t been seen in a United States census since the 1950’s, and raises controversy over the effectiveness of the question at hand.

The Washington Post reports that “critics say a question about citizenship status on the 2020 U.S. census could scare immigrants and noncitizens away from filling out the once-a-decade household survey. That would skew the count, diluting the political power of those who didn’t respond.”

The legality is in question about the amended survey, as to whether the administration is acting on a “ legitimate need for information on the noncitizen population or on a desire to limit its voting power.”

Many are afraid the with the addition of the question it will target immigrants and their communities and use the responses to detain those who may be undocumented, documented, or DACA recipients.