Slain student’s memory kept alive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Slain student’s memory kept alive

Breanna Schneller in one of her senior pictures, shows off the signature smile that many students came to know and remember her for. Photo courtesy of Craig Schneller. Used with permission.

Breanna Narlock, Editor

Breanna Schneller was a senior at D.C. Everest High School in 2009. She was a host at El Mezcal, but besides that she was a friend, a daughter, a sister, and an active community member.

With the ten year anniversary of her death coming up on May 2, the Discovery Channel is producing a documentary about her.

“My daughter was a bright young lady. Always smiling, she didn’t have a bad bone in her body, ” said Mr. Craig Schneller, father of Breanna.  “It was tragic what had happened, but through this loss, we have been able to help so many people. There have been families who are having issues with their families and they hear our story and we are able to help them and touch people’s lives.”

As the news of the murder spread through the community, the reality started to set in. From shock to disbelief the news affected everyone, Mr.Schneller said.

At D.C. Everest Senior High School, many teachers taught classes, or advised organizations  in which Schneller was enrolled.

“It was shock. Denial. I just couldn’t believe what had happened. Eventually I was hurt and sad. And any time you lose someone, especially a student, a young life. It is really hard,” said Mrs. Stacey Peterson, Breanna’s  internship advisor.

Through the trials and hardship, grief moved throughout the community. One life was lost but through the tragedy it brought the community closer together with candle light vigils and gatherings in her honor, said Mr. Schneller.

“It was hard dealing with the loss and it was very tragic but through all of it, the community came together and we grew in the time of tragedy,” said Stacey Peterson.

Filming for the documentary finished up for the most part in December. The story for the    Discovery Channel is being told from the perspective Breanna’s father and brother.

“This documentary is different from all of the others because it is coming from mine and Breanna’s brothers perspective. There is not a set date for the release, but it should be coming out some time in between February and March,” said Mr. Schneller.

After her murder, Breanna’s father shared her story across the country.

“We share her story to raise awareness, so people stay safe in their community. I hope that telling her story will at least help one person. She wanted to change the world but she’s not here to do that, but I can say she is making a difference,” said Mr. Schneller.