Teenage entrepreneur: scrunchies and zipper bags

Junior+Maisie+Gelhar+works+steadily+on+creating+and+finishing+one+of+her+many+orders.+Photo+courtesy+of+Maisie+Gelhar.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Maisie Gelhar works steadily on creating and finishing one of her many orders. Photo courtesy of Maisie Gelhar.

Masie Gelhar

Masie Gelhar

Masie Gelhar

Alli Heckert, Reporter

In 2019, online shopping and rapid consumerism have taken over the market for commodities.  E-shops are cropping up everywhere, meaning internet merchants accessing their target audience with the simple click of a button.

Junior Maisie Gelhar created her own business, String Bean Crafts,  by making handmade jewelry and accessories. She uses an Instagram account to advertise and take orders, but soon will be opening her own online store to expand her brand.

Gelhar showing off some of her hair scrunchies that she sells through her business String Bean Crafts. Photo courtesy of Maisie Gelhar

“Etsy is probably the way I will be heading down in the very near future,” said Gelhar when asked about how she plans to prepare for her swiftly developing entrepreneurship.

Today, a total of 70 percent of employed teens are considered self employed, as many continue Gelhar’s decision of entrepreneurial action, according to the Harvard Business Review article “Why Today’s Teens Are More Entrepreneurial than Their Parents“ written by Whitney Johnson. Johnson explains how “it’s better preparing them to be innovators” and sparking creativity that has never been seen before in prior generations.

But for Gelhar, the crafty energy started young for her.

Describing her previous business ventures she said, “Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I made something without selling something that I have made. When I was younger, I made duct tape flower pens and wallets for awhile. I sold them to a lot of people.”

The increase in teenage entrepreneurship reflects on the in ingenuity among the current  rising generation. It is proven that teenagers today are finding more ways to expresses their creativity, fund their lifestyles, and advocate for their passions.

Owning a business while also balancing teen life is no meager task.  Managing homework, extracurricular activities, and the responsibility of retaining a business may seem to control an entire life.

Dedication to her work is important to Gelhar, but her education is top priority.

“With being a student athlete, during fall, winter, and spring, it was hard to find time to do the things that I am really passionate about. School will always come first for me, then it’s sewing. I will go to school, then sport practices and then finally I would go home to do homework, then make my way to the sewing room.”

Many young business owners have plans of expanding their brand and pursuing careers surrounding business. However, Gelhar has no plans in following her company full time. Gelhar says she plans to attend college and study nursing, but she doesn’t want to let her brand fall through. “I am hoping to still have my mini business,” said Gelhar.

Her brand has rapidly expanded from the beginning of Nov. 2018 until now, grossing over 200 followers on her instagram and an E-shop soon to make its debut, String Bean Crafts, is another example of the growing resourcefulness in teenagers today.