Senior creates video, “I am more than an athlete”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anderson was featured in WAOW News 9, and hopes to make her account a national movement. Photo courtesy of Gabby Anderson

Claire Gelhaus, Editor

In a February newscast Fox News host Laura Ingraham told Cleveland Cavaliers basketball player Lebron James to “shut up and dribble,” following James’s criticism of President Trump, that the President “really don’t give a [expletive] about the people.”

James rebuked this with the beginning of a movement, heralded by an Instagram post of a neon sign with the words “I AM MORE THAN AN ATHLETE,” and a documentary series titled after Ingraham’s remarks.

The series aired in October, but senior Gabby Anderson, who defines herself as a “a young woman that enjoys playing basketball and primarily a young woman with a voice and a lot to say,” has created her own video in response to Ingraham.

“I think society as a whole has this connotation that athletes can only be one thing. They see the player not the person under the uniform,” said Anderson.

Anderson’s video premiered on Friday, Nov. 16 during ELT.

“I gave a speech with some background information and the purpose of the campaign,” said Anderson, “and then I showed the video and explained what was going to happen next and how they could help it spread.”

Anderson wants to rewire how people think when they see an athlete so that they recognize the person first, and her video featured many student athletes who may get this label.

“I just went around picking those that had diverse qualities about them and that were comfortable enough to be on camera,” said Anderson.

An Instagram account has since been created, under the username “morethananathletewi” which is dedicated to showing a large sample of student athletes across Wisconsin.

Within the first day, the account amassed over 100 followers, and since then Anderson has been interviewed by WAOW Channel 9, and is in touch with the WIAA [Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association].

“The next step is to start posting on the Instagram and have it spread across the state with different high schools and hopefully get the WIAA and the NCAA [National Collegiate Athletic Association] involved,” said Anderson. “Then, hopefully national attention, [the] possibilities are endless.”

View Anderson’s video by following this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8UmzxhOva4