New club comes to D.C. Everest Senior High.

Senior Maddie Krolow and Libby Radies photoed with social studies teacher Kate Wollersheim. They are leading the new club to debut at D.C. Everest Senior High, Citizen Student Movement.  Photo taken by Alli Heckert.

Senior Maddie Krolow and Libby Radies photoed with social studies teacher Kate Wollersheim. They are leading the new club to debut at D.C. Everest Senior High, Citizen Student Movement. Photo taken by Alli Heckert.

Alli Heckert, Reporter

This year, a new club is being introduced at D.C. Everest Senior High. Seniors Maddie Krolow and Libby Radies are spearheading Citizen Student Movement, after gathering information from a seminar they attended through the Senior High Student Council.         

New to the school, Mrs. Kathryn Wollersheim, an AP Psychology and Global Studies teacher, is the advisor to the club and says she is beyond excited to be involved with this.

“The two students who are heading up the organization, Maddie and Libby, I had as seventh graders. A group of [student] council kids went to this seminar, and left feeling very empowered and excited about the opportunity in our high school,” said Wollersheim.

The Citizen Student Movement originates from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Created recently in the school’s history, the faculty and students designed the CSM to empower and skill students in civil discourse and public action.

Their motto, ‘We, the members of the Citizen Student Movement, seek to empower students to become citizen professionals who will make change in their communities through public work,’ embodies the ultimate goal of the organization. The original Citizen Student Movement bridges two schools together, University of Minnesota Twin Cities and Augsburg University, to help serve a better purpose and positively impact the community.

D.C. Everest is the first high school in Wisconsin, possibly in the country, to implement this club and the agenda into the extracurricular aspect of the school.  The inspiration behind creating this club for the school was to have a club that students can see working in the real world.

“Seeing this club being successful in the university setting, made [me] hopeful that we could possibly do this in our school,” said Radies.

The club plans to build skills amongst students such as civil discourse, how to debate politely, and power mapping (a form of planning to accomplish goals).  Radies said she uses these skills and how she believes they can impact students lives when successfully used.

Citizen Student Movement is yet to schedule another meeting, but Krolow says that they will most likely be meeting again in early Dec. They plan on recruiting students throughout the year.

“The plan is to have our mission be spread by mouth. I hope this article helps with that. Our school is so divided and our goal for Citizen Student Movement is to bridge the divide in our school and see improvement in our community,” said Wollersheim.     

Citizen Student Movement met Oct. 30 in the auditorium where they introduced their agenda, syllabus for the year, and held a short Q&A for incoming club members. Students also had the opportunity to sign up for an extra training event on Nov. 15 that included guest speakers and discussion on civil discourse.