Football focuses on positivity

D.C. Everest football players lined up at the line of scrimmage as they face off against the opposing team. While the offensive line waits for the play to start, Coach Strehlow reminds that football isn't just a game, it's a positive way to help build the team. Photo courtesy of Audrey Kemp.

Samantha Baltzell, Editor

The stadium is filled with bright lights, screaming crowds, whistles blowing, coaches and players filled with anticipation to get out on the field. It’s football: a sport that started in the late 19th century and is now highly treasured in high schools across America, especially in the D.C. Everest Senior High School.

For the past two years, Mr. Timothy Strehlow, head coach and physical education teacher at D.C. Everest, has coached the Evergreens through their wins and losses.

Through communication, positivity, and working on solving frustrations, Mr. Strehlow has also been working on building a growing program. With two teams of almost 100 players in total, Mr. Strehlow has faced challenges, but still loves coaching the team.

“It’s a hard job and it takes a lot of time, but it’s worth it because I’m starting to see and feel the growth. It’s starting to get better,” said Mr. Strehlow. “Ninety nine percent of trying to build anything positive comes with tremendous amounts of communication.”

Along with coaching and working with the team, Mr. Strehlow works with other coaches to set up games, schedule busses, recruit kids to play, and organize the coaching staff. He also determines the plays and which players get the opportunity to play.

Mr. Strehlow said that a player who earns a starting position typically has a better work ethic, better character, and participates in football even when they’re in their off season.

“Before the season even starts, the number one thing for football players is lifting, running, and doing things all year round. Working on becoming stronger and faster becomes a year long process,” said Mr. Strehlow.

Football is not just muscles and running, though. It’s also about attitude. Mr. Strehlow pushes positive behaviors for the players in order to keep everyone’s heads high.

“The kids have done a really nice job of being a team. They’ve really grown together and their positivity and work ethic has been really good,” said Mr. Strehlow. “Preparing for each game has been fun, even with only two wins so far I think they’ve really stayed positive.”