New foreign exchange students join Everest

Morgan Koehler, Reporter

Five new foreign exchange students have joined the ranks of the Evergreens this year, and in an effort to learn more about them, the Jet asked all five about themselves. 

Information compiled by Morgan Koehler.

Luis Gonzalez, Dominican Republic 

Q: What is something you love about your country?

A: Luis loves the warm temperatures and the friendly people. Music plays everywhere in the Dominican Republic.

Q: What is an American stereotype or a common belief about Americans you believed before coming here?

A: Luis thought that Americans were not very social, and were very sassy.

Q: What is this grossest thing you’ve eaten in America so far?

A: Nothing.

Q: Why did you come to America?

A: When Luis was a child, his cousins lived in America. Luis wanted to experience the United States for himself and have some fun here.

Roberto Matarazzo, Italy

A: Roberto likes the people in Italy as well as the food. In Italy, they cook the food differently and they taste better.

Q: What is an American stereotype or common belief you believed before coming here?

A: Roberto believed that the high school cliques you see in movies like High School Musical existed in real life.

Q: What is the most surprising thing about America?

A: Roberto was surprised about American brownies. In Italy, they taste and look different. He was also surprised that we had lunch here at school.

Q: Is there anything about America you are looking forward to? (The winter season, American football games, etc.)

A: Roberto is looking forward to the future American football season, and he is looking forward to seeing cities such as Chicago, Illinois.

Jana Schwenke, Germany

A: Jana loves the food in Germany. The German schnitzel, the bread and buns, and the sweets, among other things.

Q: Why did you come to America?

A: Jana wanted to improve her English, and is interested in American culture. She also wanted to try new foods.

Q: What is the most surprising thing about America so far?

A: She was surprised to see that nearly everyone had their own car and was able to drive at sixteen years old.

Q: Is there anything about America that you are looking forward to? (The winter season, American football game, etc.)

A: Jana is really looking forward to the snow in Wisconsin, and doing wintry activities like ice skating or hockey. She’s also looking forward to the NBA season.

Pedro Ivo Guimarães Saldãnha, Brazil

A: Pedro loves the weather in Brazil, he says that it is warm all year and they can go to the beach every week. 

A: Pedro believed Americans ate a lot of junk food and that we were very patriotic.

Q: What is the grossest thing you’ve eaten in America so far?

A: Pickles

A: Pedro was surprised to see the American flag everywhere and was also surprised to find out that people here were more open than he expected.

Johanna Manz, Germany

A:  Johanna loves it because the city is beautiful and has many various landscapes. She also loves the public transportation in Germany. 

Q: What is an American stereotype or common belief you believed before coming here?

A: Johanna believed that all Americans were obese, but she found out that they, at least in Wisconsin, are not.

Q: What is the most surprising thing about America so far?

A: Johanna was surprised by the amount food choices in America.

Q: Why did you come to America?

A:  Johanna wants to learn English, make new friends, and experience many new opportunities.