D.C. Everest fishing team – 2018 WIFA high school State Ice Fishing Championship

Fishing team wins ninth at the 2018 WIFA High School State Ice Fishing Championship. This is the third year that they have won.

Joel DeBoer

Brooke Sprasky

The D.C. Everest Fishing Team finished ninth at the recent 2018 WIFA High School State Ice Fishing Championship. This marks the second time, in the last three years, that the team has finished in the top ten.

The Minocqua Chamber of Commerce hosted the 2017-2018 WIFI State Tournament, with more than 700 anglers from 80 schools competing for the title.

Being a state champion is a difficult task, as success in most tournaments involves a consistent limit-and-last mantra; where catching a limit of each species is a necessity. Teams earn positions in the final standings based upon combined length in total inches of gamefish plus panfish (five Northern Pike, five bass, and one Walley, plus the combined average of five Bluegill, five Crappie, and five Perch).

The tournament day, starting at 5:00 A.M. was cold, and anglers lined up at many access points on the Minocqua Chain and Lake Tomahawk for the official take off. Teams were allowed to drill holes in advance and identify the areas that they planned to fish during the tournament. WIth more than 700 anglers on the ice, some location would see heavy traffic by vehicle, UTV, sled, and foot.

This marks the first time, in the last three years, that the team has finished in the top ten.

“Coach Abel, Coach Thorpe, and I are really proud of our student-anglers and the initiative that they have taken in preparing for tournaments over these past three years,” Mr. Joel Deboer said. “We appreciate the support from the parents as well and all of their hard work.”

The team hopes for a successful future.

“We hope to continue to grow our membership, continue fishing statewide tournaments, continue with our community service events, and, most importantly, enjoy time on the water?” said Mr. Joel Deboer.

The team is open for anyone, regardless of their experience level.

“If you’re interested, come join us!” Mr. Joel Deboer said. Regardless of experience level, you need only to have a passion for fishing to fit right in. Unlike varsity sports, we are flexible with practices, after school jobs, and the other many things that students are involved with these days. We ask that you attend when you are able to and keep the lines of communication open when you’re not able to be at a meeting or event.

High school and college fishing provides many scholarships for those passionate for the sport.

“High school and college fishing are absolutely hot buttons in the sports world right now, with unprecedented amounts of money being spent in support of the student-anglers involved,” said Mr. Joel Deboer. Full sponsorships and full-ride scholarships to college are out there just waiting for the young person willing to take the initiative to earn them.