Why People Don’t Keep Their New Years Resolution

Scott Gerrits

New Year’s Day is a time of joy, celebration, setting goals. Many people make resolutions on Dec. 31st to start the new year off right. Only one problem, not everyone keeps their New Year’s resolution.

Resolutions are made because people may want to prove they can go throughout the year without certain things. Some of the most common resolutions are: a year without hurting someone’s feelings, promising to get out and exercise more, and simply trying things that you would not do normally. These are only a few of a vast abundance of resolutions that are thought about every year.

“I’ve made a few New Years resolutions and I’ve always stuck with something I can genuinely go without for a year,” Eric Gerrits senior at Dc Everest high school.

Different people make different resolutions to try and help themselves in the new year, only to find that they can never fully go through with it. Most people do not make it to the end of the month, others do not  last a day. This is due to a few reasons: cannot get by, it is too much mental pressure to follow though, they cannot live or get by without doing or having something, or they just do not attempt there resolution. Studies show that only 8% of people follow through with the resolution they set. Meaning that  92% of people could not stick to their resolution. -Huffingtonpost.com

“People make resolutions every year and most people don’t keep to them. It’s entirely their choice if they don’t wish to keep it,” a student asked to not be named.

In the first three months of the year, gym membership rates jump because of people’s New Year’s resolutions. The rates increase by about 40% in the early months of the year.-New York Times. Sometime after March and April, the usage of gym memberships take a drop for a two reasons. One, People cannot find the time to work out, due to matters beyond their control, two, people just stop going to the gym because they think it is a waste of time and money.

As hard as people try to keep their New Year’s resolution, most people cannot help but break them. To say that it’s a bad thing is wrong, it just means you’re just not ready to see it to its fruition.