Point of Convergence Literary Magazine Earns “Most Outstanding” Distinction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Artworks are showcased in the Literary Magazine Show.

Claire Gelhaus, Editor

The D.C. Everest literary magazine Point of Convergence earned two awards from the American Scholastic Press Association for its 2017 issue.

“We won first place with special merit, and we were also named the most outstanding literary magazine in 2017,” said Creative Writing teacher and Lit Mag adviser, Mr. Cepress.

Point of Convergence has been entered in the association’s annual award since 2014.

“We have won since we’ve entered. I know we’ve had all three: second place, first place, and there was on other year that we got special merit. I think last year we had first and the year before was special merit,” said Mr. Cepress.

The lit mag is completely student driven, and edited by Creative Writing students.

“Student editors do a lot- I mean you’re reading over 200 separate pieces, you’re reading each one, you’re voting on each one, and you’re commenting on each piece,” said Mr. Cepress.

First year Creative Writing student and Junior Madison Mroczenski  was new to the process of editing, but ultimately would love to do it again.

“Reading through all of the submissions didn’t feel as stressful as you think it would be. It was amazing to look through all the different kinds of pieces and see what my classmates had to offer writing wise,” said Mroczenski. “Each piece was significant to each person, and I think it really showed who everyone was, even if I’ve never talked to them before.”

Below: Students present their pieces of work to the audience.