Teens Should Pay Attention to the News But do you know how?

Are+teenagers+aware+of+fake+news+versus+real+news%3F+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Are teenagers aware of fake news versus real news?

Amber Marten

Amber Marten

Amber Marten

Emily Graap, Reporter

News is the noteworthy information from recent or important events. The audience ages can have a wide range, but does the range extend to the younger generations?

Within the D.C. Everest Senior High answers vary. Some students like to keep up with the news to stay informed with the world and community, while others simply do not have the time to.

“I keep up, mostly with online articles, because I like to stay updated on what is going on in the world,” said Junior Cody Hansen. “I think a lot of kids keep up with that stuff, and I believe they should.”

Students’ opinions on whether teenagers are informed or not differ. While some believe kids are well informed, others think kids have room for more knowledge dealing with news in the community as well as the world.

National news resources have been in question as to if they are dispersing biased news.

Pamela Engel from businessinsider.com said, “Some news outlets have a fairly even distribution of viewers, while others (some of which are the most popular in the country) skew strongly to the right or left.”

Many teenagers may also receive news through their parents or older siblings, and friends, which may be distributed with a bias.

“I watch the news because I like to know what is going on in the world so I am not misinformed,” said Junior Sam Hagedorn. “I do not think many kids keep up with the news, but I think they should so they know what is going on, and if they talk about it, they know what they are talking about, not just saying what their parents think.”

There are many different ways people can persist the news. You can keep up with the classic newspaper, view the daily news channel on T.V., or even go to social media to eye up the latest news articles.

“Personally I do not keep up with the mainstream media, I look to the outside resources for news, just because I feel like they are more credible,” said Senior Hayden Clark. “I do think young kids should keep up with the news because they are actually unaware of the situation with net neutrality, which is a good example.”  

High School students are busy enough with school as well as extra-curricular activities, and may not be able to keep up with the news, but still find it to be an important component in teenagers’ lives.

“I do not watch the news often because I have a lot of stuff going on,” said Sophomore Nou Chee Lee. “I still think kids should watch the news because there could be something happening the next morning or so and they can prepare.”