Athlete of the Month (November): Emma Kysely

Emma+Kysely+expects+to+attend+UW-Eau+Claire+as+a+Bluegold+after+high+school.+
Emma Kysely expects to attend UW-Eau Claire as a Bluegold after high school.

Mckayla Hackman, Reporter

With plans to attend University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Senior Emma Kysely contemplates continuing her hockey career as a Blugold. It has been a part of her life ever since she was young, and she has no plans to give it up even though her mind is not set in stone about college hockey.

Kysely’s season last year was spent training for and participating in a state championship.

“We did lose a lot of great seniors last year, that really made a difference. If we are dedicated and want it bad enough, I believe we can get there and end the season the way we want to,” said Kysely.

Not only does she play hockey, but she is also on the D.C. Everest Girls Varsity Tennis Team for two years.

As her last season of tennis came to an end in October, Emma spoke about how the season went overall.

“It was nice to see more girls going out for tennis this year. I bonded with a lot of them, and it was a great start to my senior year. It also really got me in shape for hockey season, which is always a positive.”

School work and grades can be stressful things to deal with at one time, and balancing them is hard to do.

“Schoolwork always comes first, no matter what. As stressed out as I get with my school work, I always find enough time to get my work done before hockey games or practice.”

Finishing her tennis season strong, keeping up with her grades, and moving into the hockey season soon after, Emma plans to succeed through academics in college as well.

“I want nothing less than to succeed as much as anyone else does in college I plan on giving my very best and working hard for the degree I want.”

As Emma’s last season of high school hockey begins, she said she has high hopes for the future players.

“Every senior’s expectations for the underclassman is for them to give their best at every practice and game, because we as seniors only have one last season and we want it to be as successful as it can be.”

She has always had a very strong love for the sport and talks about her hopes for hockey after schooling.

“After college, I would love to stay a part of the game by coaching a youth team and giving back to the association that gave so much to me.”

Emma gives her advice to high school students to not take their time in high school for granted.

“For anyone wishing, ‘Ugh I want to graduate already’ don’t take the time you have in high school for granted. You only get four years of it,” said Kysely. “As sad as I am that I graduate in the spring, I am excited for the rest of the hockey memories that are soon to come before the season ends.”