Junior View: Block Scheduling

Image from Stow-Borders

Image from Stow-Borders

Allie Habeck, Feature Editor

The phrase “block scheduling” alone is a polarizing topic for students and faculty at D.C. Everest High School. It seems that some students and teachers favor it, however, it also seems like there are just as many students and teachers who dislike it just as much. Supporters of block scheduling have come up with many reasons for as why it should stay, and opponents have come up with just the opposite.

However, we tend to side with the opponents, believing that the cons outweigh the pros.

One of the major cons that we discussed was overcrowding in the lunchroom due to block scheduling.

Every student who sat, or at least tried to find a seat, in the lunchroom on any of the block scheduling days knows that there’s not enough space to hold double the amount of students than what it normally holds. There was already minimal seating during each lunch hour before block scheduling, so we find it hard to comprehend how administrators thought there would be enough seating when they combined two lunch hours together.

As expected, the combination of two lunch hours creates a very loud atmosphere, as well. This creates an unnecessary problem for students and teachers in classrooms near the lunchroom.

Gina Lehman, Vice Principal at D.C. Everest High School, addressed these concerns.

“We may add seating in the lunchroom if we go to block scheduling, and we also have talked about opening up the campus to juniors and seniors for block scheduling since it is longer lunch period.”

Students who normally have last hour off and attend their jobs immediately after they are released from school could face challenges due to block scheduling.

Lehman addressed this problem, as well.

“We told students who ran into this problem, this year, to talk to their teacher and work it out with them, and most were flexible knowing that it was a block day.”

Even though we believe that the cons of block scheduling outweigh the pros, we also realize that their legitimate reasons to keep block scheduling.

Block scheduling does allot times to take tests, which is one of the reasons proponents support block scheduling. Sophomores were able to take the Wisconsin Civics Test during ELT on one of the block scheduling dates, which saved classroom time for faculty and students since the test was allotted time.

Lehman wants students to know that they’re basing their decision to keep block scheduling off of what we think. She said that Mr. Olstead already took a poll of some students on what they thought of block scheduling, and she said that some students enjoyed only having to worry about four classes whereas some students did not like block scheduling at all. Lehman also said that Dr. Johansen, Principal at D.C. Everest High School, is creating a poll to gather each student’s opinion of block scheduling.

She likewise wants students to tell her and other faculty about the cons of block scheduling so they can be proactive towards a solution.

Lehman also wants to squash the big misconception about block scheduling among students.

“As a building, we are not going to block scheduling [full-time], rather it would only occur once, maybe twice a month,” she clarified.

Even though, as Lehman clarified, we won’t be going to block scheduling full-time next year, many students would prefer to stay with the traditional schedule. However, the student body should realize, by now, that we aren’t the one’s who decide these type of things, and the ultimate decision comes from administration, even though they aren’t the ones most affected by it. If students want their voices to be heard on this, they should bring their own resolutions to the school board, make a petition, and/or call the administrators themselves.