D. C. Everest Bowling Team

D.+C.+Everest+Bowling+Team+takes+a+picture+after+practice+
D. C. Everest Bowling Team takes a picture after practice

Brooke Sprasky, Sports Editor

The D.C. Everest Senior High School offers a wide variety of sports teams, from lacrosse to tennis to baseball. However, it also offers a little known team, the D.C. Everest Bowling Team.

The D.C. Everest Bowling Team is coached by Rich Bruner and Tim Walter, who both have an extensive background in the sport of bowling.

“I am a silver-level USA certified instructor. I’ve been coaching kids now for about twenty-five years,” Bruner said.

Tim Walter has been bowling for 35 years. Walter started when he was five and now bowls twice a week in league, including many local tournaments.

Both coaches have great pride in what they do as they meet with the team for practice every week on Tuesdays (optional) and Thursdays (mandatory). The team travels to other bowling alleys in the Central Wisconsin area to compete with other teams. These teams include Rhinelander, Marshfield, Antigo, and others.

“I just hope that the team gets as much enjoyment out of this game as I do. The best part about being a high school bowling coach is watching the team improve, and watching the progress they make,” Bruner said.

“I hope to help the team improve their bowling skills, while having fun at the same time. Seeing the growth of the team, along with getting to know them on a more personal level, is what makes being a high school bowling coach amazing,” Walter said.

Chad Rockteschel, junior, shares his extensive background in bowling.

“All of my father’s side of the family has been bowling forever. I’ve been bowling for about 13 years,” Rockteschel said.

Although it is Rockteschel’s first year in the high school program, it has offered him resources in order to up his game.

“The high school bowling program has offered me more time to bowl and coaches have been assisting me to improve my game,” Rockteschel said.

To be on the bowling team, however, you don’t have to have any background in bowling, as Malory Smith, freshman, explains.

“I don’t have much background, as this is my first year bowling. However, I got into it because most of the adults in my family bowl,” Smith said.

The high school bowling program has coaches that help bowlers identify and work on bad habits that can develop over time.

“So far, the program has taught me what I should and shouldn’t do as a bowler. For example, I’ve been working on footwork, aim, and ball control,” Smith said.

Some people are in the high school bowling program because they want to pursue a professional bowling career. This would pertain to Gunner Zubke, freshman.

“I’ve been bowling since I was five. When I first bowled, I really enjoyed it. I ended up working very hard on it, which led to the high school bowling program. Here, I am allowed to pursue my potential career as a bowler. The program has allowed me to work on my bowling technique, in order to improve,” Zubke said.

Matt Walter, junior, has been on the D.C. Everest High School Bowling Team since he was in sixth grade. However, he started bowling competitively at a young age.

“I started bowling competitively when I was five years old. I have been in many tournaments inside and outside of Wisconsin. The program has offered me to do my passion competitively while also meeting other bowlers from around the area,” Walter said.

You don’t necessarily need experience as a bowler to join high school bowling, as the team contends.

“It doesn’t matter how well you bowl at the moment, but rather how much you want to improve and make an initiative to get better,” Rockteschel said.

The sport of bowling is open to everyone, regardless of athletic ability.

“You should join, it’s a very forgiving sport. You don’t have to be very athletic to be a bowler,” Smith said.

Coaches of the D.C. Everest Bowling Team strive to build excellent bowlers that are mentally ready to bowl in championships.

“The coaches here are great, and they will happily guide you to future success,” Zubke said.

High school bowling also offers educational incentives for above-and-beyond bowlers.

“In football and basketball, the chances of you getting college money is slim. In bowling, however, it is much higher, especially for female bowlers,” Bruner said.

The sport of bowling is slowly falling behind the scenes of other popular sports, but with high school bowling a larger base or athletes are coming out to show the importance of the sport.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “D. C. Everest Bowling Team”

1. Rich Bruner on November 16th, 2017 10:00 pm

Just seen the article. I think you did a great job Brooke.

[Reply]

adviser Reply:

Thank you!

[Reply]

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Sports

Dylan Rutzen: Boxing with school and work

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Showcase

Michael Janke: Nominated for ‘Athlete of the Year’

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Showcase

Athlete of the Month (April): Natalie Mohring Q&A

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Showcase

Wisconsin weather affects spring sports

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Sports

D.C. Everest Fishing Team – 2018 WIFA High School State Ice Fishing Championship

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Sports

Athlete of the Month (March): Matt Lukasik Q&A

• Sports

Hockey Player Makes History

• Sports

Girls Basketball Donates to Those in Need

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Sports

Doling Out Sports Equipment

• D. C. Everest Bowling Team

Sports

Athlete of the Month (February): Taylor Petit

D. C. Everest Bowling Team