Doling Out Sports Equipment

Photo from ezsports.com

Photo from ezsports.com

Photo from ezsports.com

It is often assumed that popular sports have better equipment. But, as the Athletic Director at the D.C Everest Senior High School Mr. James Sekel explains, there is more equipment to certain sports for safety reasons.

“Every sport is different,” Mr. Sekel said. “When it comes to equipment, some sports need a lot of equipment, while some don’t need much at all.”

Mr. Sekel said that the equipment needed for a sport is dependent on how safe the sport is and what is needed in order to keep students safe when engaging.

“There are certain sports that are more dangerous than others, like football and hockey, they are pretty high up there,” Mr. Sekel said. “Any of those sports that have safety equipment involved.”

Equipment is also shared between both female and male divisions of the sport. It is shared between the two depending on how much equipment is being used. If there is little equipment being used for a sport, the coaches decide if the equipment will be shared between the teams.

“When it comes to the safety of the kids, we want to have good stuff [equipment] to put them in. So when something wears out, that is a safety issue,” Mr. Sekel said.

He said that with every new season for the sport, the equipment that was being used is replaced with new equipment to eliminate the factor of student athletes getting injured. Mr. Sekel said that there are other factors that are involved when it comes to maintaining a sport.

“Swimming doesn’t have a whole lot of equipment, but swimming is one of our pricey sports, because of the pool. The pool always has to be staffed with lifeguards; the pool must have fresh water with chemicals and heating,” Mr. Sekel said.

Sports that need little equipment from district funding have student athletes that supply themselves with equipment that is needed. “Golf is one sport that doesn’t need a lot of equipment either, we supply the golf balls. Other than that, typically the kids provide their own clubs,” Mr. Sekel said.

Mr. Sekel said the district pays for all of the courses that the students play on for practicing and competing. But along with that, the students who are involved in golf have to pick up and clean the courses in the spring, before the season starts.

He continued in saying that contact sports, like football, hockey, and occasionally basketball, tend to have more equipment distributed among the students for safety purposes, not for the popularity aspect. Although there are popular sports that would bring in more participation from an audience, that does not play a factor in what kind, or how much, equipment is being distributed.