“Jumanji” Redux a Moviegoer Must

Jumanji featuring Jack Black, Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, and Karen Gillan

Samantha Baltzell

A new updated version of “Jumanji”, originally produced in 1955, was remade into “Jumanji 2: Welcome to the Jungle” and released to the public on Dec. 20, 2017. While the original movie focused on the game coming out of the board into the real world, the new version focused on the kids going into the game.

The movie includes four teens as the main characters: Bethany, a rude social media addict played by Madison Iseman, a nerd named Martha, played by Morgan Turner, an arrogant football player named Fridge who is played by Ser’Darius Blain, and the typical “not noticeable but not unnoticed” teen by the name of Spencer who is played by Alex Wolff.

The first majority of the movie was about the four teens casually going throughout their school day, but each managing to find a way to be thrown into their Saturday detention. When they arrive, they’re given the task to remove staples from magazines.

The boredom of removing staples eventually plays with the students emotions in a massive way. They began screwing around and eventually start to explore the basement they were put in. In the corner of the basement sat an ancient video game console with the game “Jumanji” which was already plugged in and ready to go.

Out of curiosity, Spencer plugged the game into a television that had been sitting across the basement from the game near the magazines they were supposed to be taking apart. With Fridge, Brittany, and Martha standing right behind him, Spencer loaded the game and began to play.

Almost instantly, the game short circuited and, even though Spencer unplugged it, the game was still loaded on the screen. All of the teens decided to keep playing the game so ,one by one, they picked up a controller and selected a character.

Spencer chose “Dr. Smolder Bravestone,” played by Dwayne Johnson, a strong, incredibly fast, mountain climber with no weaknesses. Fridge decided to be “Moose Finbar,” who was portrayed by Kevin Hart. Hart’s character was the sidekick to “Dr. Smolder Bravestone” who held all of his weapons and fought right alongside him with his only weakness being cake.

The two girls, Brittany and Martha, chose to be “Professor Shelly Oberon”, played by Jack Black, and “Ruby Roundhouse”, played by Karen Gillan. Both of these roles are completely opposite of the original characters.

The adventure of the movie really began when the kids started to disappear into the video game. It started with their fingers turning into pixels, then their hands, arms, chest, legs, and then the screen went black.

The movie then cuts to a scene where the four students are then falling from the sky; hurtling towards the ground, stopping abruptly, just inches from death. They stood up and looked around, not yet noticing that they were different people.

Instead all they saw was the jungle. Birds, plants, trees, bugs, elephants, tigers, and anything else they could possibly imagine. Once they realized that they were not who they originally were, panic and confusion arose in the teens.

Confused, scared, and dazed, the students  frantically discuss what was happening and what they needed to do. They were distracted when a jeep was suddenly driving towards them. A man stepped out and gives the students two words.

“Save Jumanji.”

With only a half of a map, given to them by the driver, and their powers given to them by the game, the teens set off to save Jumanji.

The overall plot of the new movie was a nice twist on the original. It gives viewers an idea of the experience that Alan Parrish, played by Robin Williams, went through in the 1955 movie when he was sucked into the game.

While the acting was hilarious back in 1955, it was even more entertaining in the newest movie. Jack Black, a 48 year old man, had to play the role of a 16 year old stuck in his own body. Getting in touch with his feminine side made for a great comical spin on the movie.“Jumanji 2: Welcome to the Jungle” is definitely a movie that is worth watching. The comedy included in the movie and the newer spin on the plot definitely makes the whole thing worth watching.