Net Neutrality

Photo from www.aclu.org

Photo from www.aclu.org

Photo from www.aclu.org

Preston Pagel

On December 14, the Federal Communication Committee(FCC) ruled 3-2 to end regulations which ensure that telecompanies provide equal access to all sources in the web, meaning that they could not prioritize the traffic from some companies over other companies.

These regulations were enacted in 2015 during the Obama administration, as the then President was an adamant supporter, once declaring that,”their are no toll roads on that information superhighway”. However, under the new administration and the leadership of Ajit Pai, the president of the FCC, these regulations have been appealed.

The reversal of these regulations means that broadband providers can choose which companies they prioritize, and provide faster service to their consumers. The companies that would be hurt the most are the ones which use large amounts of data or are costly to providers. These are companies like Google, Amazon, Netflix, Microsoft and Spotify.

The prioritization Of other companies over these industry giants could possibly mean that these companies would have to move to a paid subscriber platform, and those who already charge fees, like Netflix might have to increase fees.

Despite the fact that it might hurt consumers in the short term, Ajit Pai assuredly stated that ‘it will eventually help consumers’, as their would be more competition on the market. This is similar to statement that broadband companies have made, ones like Comcast, AT&T and Verizon.

Several students find this claim dubious, and the general consensus of the school body is in favor of keeping those regulations in place.

Drew Morehouse, a sophomore at the D.C Everest Senior High school, said “it seems to interfere with people’s ability of free speech”, and that “the internet is a useful communication method”. Several other students seem to share similar beliefs.

In the end, these changes may not even be implemented. Several lawsuits are due next month, and their is a bill in Congress which would reinstate the changes.

This is in addition to the several weeks which it would take for the changes to begin and even later for their own enforcement. In short, this issue has yet to be resolved.