Athlete of the Month (December): Sam Nielson

Samuel Nielsen dribbling the ball down the court as head coach, Mr. “Rocky” Bouldon, looks along. Nielsen is there with the support of team mates who are clapping and cheering him on.

Audrey Kemp

Audrey Kemp

Hnub Xiong, News Editor

Shooting hoops has been in the works for senior Samuel Nielsen for approximately ten years, starting in third grade. Aside from basketball, Nielsen has also been playing baseball for 12 to 13 years.

“I have worked on my shooting a lot. It has not really paid off yet but I’ve gone to the YMCA many times and shot to improve,” said Nielsen.

His older brother inspired Nielsen to start playing basketball and baseball because his brother also played both sports.

Nielsen has faced challenges, although he had time with baseball, such as adapting to the sport.

“Recently we got a new head coach and we had to learn a whole new offense,” said Nielsen.

Nielsen contends that he has become a better leader in basketball this year, after seeing how seniors before him took the lead. He feels that he should take on leadership for his team this year.

“Personally, I believe that as a senior  you need to come up and lead to make sure everything is under control to keep everything organized and not get out of hand,” Nielsen said.

Even though the previous season for basketball did not go well, he hopes that they will improve this year starting strong.

Nielsen explained, “I enjoy the camaraderie and bond with my teammates and how we are all on the same page at the same time.”

Nielsen has suffered a few injuries during his previous seasons that have not stopped him.

“I’ve cracked my head open. I was also on a team that went 36-4 in 5th grade and ended up taking 10th place in State which is the best place I’ve ever taken,” said Nielsen. “That year we also beat the Marquette commit Joey Hauser and Stevens Point for the first time.”

Aside from playing sports, Nielsen is involved in DECA and is the Vice President of Finance.

Furthermore, he is part of the National Honor Society and School Forest Leadership.

Nielsen plans to attend Winona State University, Minnesota to study business.

“I decided go there because my brother went there and I really liked the campus. I believe it can help me have a successful future,” said Nielsen.