I Would Do Anything… For Sports

Ethan and his brother, Jacob Stroik, caught up with NFL running back Melvin Gordon. Pictured, from left to right: Ethan Stroik, Melvin Gordon, Jacob Stroik.

Photo from Ethan Stroik

Photo from Ethan Stroik

McKayla Hackman, Reporter

Through the years, professional sports like football and basketball have garnered the interest of many Americans.

Ethan Stroik, Senior at D.C .Everest Senior High, and his family are fans of the Milwaukee Bucks basketball team, the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team, and the Wisconsin Badger college sports teams.

His dedication to sports was influenced by his father, who has loved sports his whole life.

“I usually go to all the Badger football home games, at least one Packer game, at least one Bucks game each year and occasionally a Badger basketball or Brewer game,” said Stroik.

Who is the bigger fan? To Ethan, it is neither.

My dad has been a fan of the Badgers and Packers for much longer than I have, but we both love the teams. I am probably a bigger Bucks fan than my dad just because basketball has changed so much from when he was a kid to now so it is easier for me to follow them and be a fan.”

The farthest he has traveled was a Brewer game in Arizona, a Milwaukee Bucks game in Orlando, Fl., and the Badgers basketball and football games in Indianapolis, In.

Traveling to so many games like Stroik has comes with a cost.

“Packer games are the most expensive. The price varies depending on the seats that you want and whether they are playing a good team or not. You can go to a Bucks game for fairly cheap, and Badger football games are more in the middle.”

When Ethan attends the games with his family, it is usually a family trip and he doesn’t have to worry about paying, but when he goes with his friends, he must find a way to save money.

Ethan also hopes to continue attending the games after high school.

“As long as I have the opportunity and money to go, I will keep going.”

It’s an amazing experience to be able to be surrounded by so many people that you have something in common with, and when big moments happen, watching the game at home comes nowhere near being at the stadium.”

What would make the experience even better? To Ethan, A Badger running back breaking an all time college basketball record.

“The coolest thing I have ever experienced at a game was probably when the Badgers played Nebraska at Camp Randall in 2014. [The] Badgers running back Melvin Gordon broke the all time college football record for most rushing yards in a single game with 408 yards.”

On top of a record break, Ethan also had the opportunity to meet many athletes.

“I have met Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jabari Parker, Davante Adams, Melvin Gordon, Aaron Rodgers and several others.”

His favorite experience was meeting Aaron Rodgers, he signed his football, and Ethan also got a picture with him.

“With Aaron Rodgers, it was after a Packers practice and he was signing for every single fan so I had to wait for a long time but he ultimately ended up bringing me behind the gate, signing my football and taking a picture with me.”

Not only has Ethan taken a picture with Aaron Rodgers, but he has also taken one with Melvin Gordon, and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

“I get pictures all sorts of ways. With Melvin Gordon, it was a huge Badger game so I knew he was in town and we happened to run into him on the street outside the stadium and he was kind of in disguise but I recognized him anyways so my brother asked for a picture with him, with Giannis, he was greeting fans as they were coming into the arena for one game so I asked him for a picture then.”

With all his dedication to the sports teams, it is no surprise that Ethan considers himself a diehard fan.

“I would say yes, very much so. There are very few occasions that I would ever miss a Badger or Packer game no matter what. When teams are struggling a lot of people will stop watching or paying attention to them, but I will still make the games a top priority, and I occasionally will punch or throw things when I get upset, but I love to celebrate when the team does something well.”