Gaming Club Prepares for Evercon

Evercon presents flyer for upcoming event this year.

Mr. Christian Ammon

Mr. Christian Ammon

Gaming stands are lined up by the dozens as multiple people await for the opening of the Evercon, the most popular convention that takes place in Wausau.

Although Evercon is a major part of the Central Wisconsin community, The D.C Everest Gaming Club has made a huge impact on the conventions over the years.

“Gaming Club started when I got here as a teacher in the fall of 1989,” said Christian Ammon, a Social Studies teacher at the D. C. Everest Junior High, and also the advisor for Gaming Club for the Junior High branch. “We started with just basically 4 or 5 students, so it was very small and it grew throughout the years.”

Mr. Ammon said that the main idea for this club to be created was to have a friendly environment where gamers can get together and socialize, learn cooperating skills, and to learn higher level games that may be fun to some students. And by 1993, Gaming Club was an official club that was available to all students.

Evercon attendees from the previous event engages in games provided.

Mr. Christian Ammon

“Preparing for Evercon is helping to get the officers to think of new ideas and think of new ideas myself. It’s also to get the Gaming Club rallied up for Evercon because a lot of the time it’s not so much as rallied up as it is now,” said Ethan Laska, a junior at the D.C. Everest Senior High, and also the President of the Gaming Club.

Laska said that the Gaming Club is supposed to watch over the Gamers store at Evercon. Where individuals rent out games that the Gaming Club provides for Evercon, to play during the convention.

Along with the Gamer’s store at Evercon, Evercon holds a silent auction that has been going on for a couple years.

There will be this display, and there’s a place for the silent auction and it runs the whole Evercon from Friday, and it runs the whole Evercon,” said Mr. Ammon. “And then adults and students can go up there and just write their name down and put what’s called a ‘silent bid’ on them.”

Mr. Ammon said that the objects that are put up for auction are inexpensive and some of the items are not gaming related.  Some of the items that have been put up for auction in the past have been tickets to a Grand Theater performance in Wausau, and even a Green Bay Packer football that was signed by all of the players.

Every year the silent auction is a hit at Evercon, and Gaming Club gives the money they earn from that auction out to the community.

“One year it was to the Neighbors Place, another year it was for the Women’s Community, last year we did the Boys and Girls Club of Wausau,” said Laska. “We also do organizations like the Food Pantry. Where we donate money for them to get food and different community organizations that can help students and also just the public in general.”

Evercon has multiple activities that members can be apart of and see. Some of the activities include: watching LARP (Live Action Role Play), Cosplay contests and meetups, gaming competitions and tournaments, magic acts, etc.

“I’m excited to see how the cosplay contest goes, it’s not really a contest, sadly, but we might get that in the future, I’m still hoping for that. We’re excited to see how the cosplaying goes now that there’s an actual meetup, because I know that a lot of people were disappointed because there was no cosplay meetup thing at all last year,” said Laska.

Mr. Ammon said that every year when Evercon is going there are a lot of people, and even teens, that find the convention interesting and fun.

“There’s something there, and people that have never gone, and the first time they go, “Oh my God.” Because there it’s so much fun and there’s something to do for everyone,” said Mr. Ammon.

Evercon begins to run at 11:00 a.m- 10:00 p.m Friday Jan. 5, 9:00 a.m- 10:00 p.m on Jan. 6, 9:00 a.m- 5:00 p.m Sunday Jan. 7. The convention will end on Jan 7.