DCE Food Pantry

Food is a part of everyday life; people need it everyday. But where do some people go when they can’t buy food for themselves or their families?

The D. C Everest Senior High school is helping families and individuals by providing food and clothing to those in need in our area.

Started in the beginning of the 2016 school year, the D.C Everest food pantry was created. Assistant Principal, Dr. Todd Bohm, came up with the idea of making a food and clothing pantry for the students at school and also for the community. Dr. Bohm still provides donations to the community through other organizations, such as Peyton’s Promise.

“There are multiple students in the school that are involved,” said Jeremy Brandt, an intellectual disability teacher at the Senior High. “Some students who are in my classes and Ms. Ackley’s classes helped fill the clothing closet and food pantry.”

The pantry for the school used to be in one room of the Senior High. In in the beginning of November the pantry was split into two pantries, one for food and one for clothing. The reason they split it into two pantries is because the food pantry needed more room as it was growing more than clothing.

“We needed [one] just for food because we have a lot of students in our community that are in need of food,” said Mr. Brandt.

Mr. Brandt said that the D. C Everest Senior High needs to have more food drives to help fill just the food and clothing pantry alone here at school. The food Student Council gains from their occasional food drives goes to Peyton’s Promise and other organizations that accept donations in the area.

“It’s great that we’re are getting donations from Peyton’s Promise and other community organizations, but it isn’t enough,” said Mr. Brandt. “As a community here at D. C Everest we need, whether it be Student Council, we need to figure out how to run a food drive here.”

The students in Mr. Brandt’s and Ms. Ackley’s class help bag the food for delivery to families in need, stock the shelves in the pantry when the donations come in, and unpack the donations that they get from other organizations in the community.

“They [Peyton’s Promise] actually give us donations of food. They are a huge organization that gets tons of food. They give us anything extra that we can hand out,” said Mr. Brandt.

Although the food part of the pantry is filling at a steady rate, the clothing pantry has less success. Mr. Brandt averages that the amount of clothing the pantry gets a week is one piece of clothing. Mr. Brandt thinks that both pantries needs more advertising around the school and out into the community.

“We wanted to be as discreet as possible as well, because we don’t want people to feel uncomfortable to come and get food from us,” said Mr. Brandt. “But it is important that people in our school know about it.”

Mr. Brandt said the hardest thing for the food pantry is keeping it stocked. Students and faculty that help with the pantry send out about 20 bags of food a week to people out in the community. And Mr. Brandt doesn’t believe that with the holidays just around the corner, they will have an increase in food supply.

“We will continue with the same amount because that is what we can handle right now, with all of the food we have,” said Mr. Brandt.

During the school year, teachers and faculty run a food drive of their own, where teachers can give money or actual food donations for the pantry. With all of the money that the pantry receives, the pantry workers go out and buy the necessary foods and supplies that are needed in the pantry at that time.

“Most of the teachers donate money and we buy stuff for Thanksgiving and Christmas to hand out,” said Mr. Brandt. “And then we will make deliveries to people’s homes.”