DCE Deca

Taylor Brzezinski and Claire Burns cheer for DECA

The D.C. Everest DECA chapter is the first chapter in the state of Wisconsin to have earned the top level— gold from the international DECA office.

Both Everest Expressions and the DECA Depot are student run.

The retail store, the DECA Depot teaches the tough world of retailing. Students are responsible for ordering, stocking, cleaning, paying bills,making deposits, promoting, and more– everything a small business owner must do to turn a profit,” said DECA advisor Mrs. Jodi Peterson.

Everest Expressions is treated like a home based business, where you do not need a retail space.

“We needed to find a way to maximize our profits after the smart snacks in school rule went into place,” said Mrs. Peterson. “We work with our clients in person and through email to get the design and apparel just right.”

Everest Expressions is able to create custom apparel for the school store, student organizations, and for local businesses.

“Last spring we were able to donate $1500 to the victim fund of the March shootings from the selling of ‘Everest Strong’ shirts. We created and sold shirts for Rothschild’s Centennial this fall. We make the safety shirts for The Village of Rothschild,” said Mrs. Peterson.

New this year, DECA has a fully functioning online presence. Customers can place their orders for DECA to mail out or to be picked up at school, and they are currently working with Junior High Administrators and DECA members to open a school store in the Junior High School.

“We also run the mobile store, The DECA Depot To Go. Our mobile store is set up during football games,” said Mrs. Peterson. “We know we must be where the customer is and our mobile store is able to be where they are at.”

The School Based Enterprises provide students an opportunity to operate, manage, and run small businesses.

“They are putting their education to action. What we teach in a marketing class is practiced in the DECA Depot or with Everest Expressions,” said Mrs. Peterson.

Many DECA students devote their time to working at either Everest Expressions, the printing student run business, or at the DECA Depot.

The DECA Depot Managers are Seniors Quinn Clarke, Ben Weller, and Conner Dennis, [and] Shayna Raasch serves as the E-Commerce manager. The Everest Expressions managers are Senior Claire Burns, Junior Alyssa Peterson, and Senior Taylor Brzezinski,” said Mrs. Peterson.

How much time one puts into DECA is individual.

“Some students organize and run events, some run the store, some members attend conferences, some work with organizations outside of class— DECA is whatever they want out of it,” said Mrs. Peterson.

DECA has 115 members from the Senior High School and new this year, the Junior High School.  

“We opened up DECA to the Junior High this year as many students here at the High School have said for years they wished they had more years to do DECA,” said Mrs. Peterson.

Last May, Junior Alyssa Peterson placed within the top 5 in the world at the International Career Development Conference in Anaheim, California.

“In my 25 years here at DCE, we have sent students every year to compete at international competitions.  We have had many students place in the top 30 and top ten in the world. We had a first place winner in 2010,” said Mrs. Peterson.