Campus Crime Stoppers

Photo from Marathon Country Crime Stoppers

No longer called ‘Quick 50’, Campus Crime Stoppers has taken a place within the D.C. Everest School District. The name is not the only thing that has changed about the program, compensation, reporting, and how the affair gets taken care of have also been modified.

“They went away from the Quick 50, which is just drugs, alcohol, and weapons. So now this is a version of Crime Stoppers specifically for the school,” said D.C. Everest Police Liaison Officer Frank Wierzbanowski.

Students can now make a report regarding any issue that includes bullying, threats, suspicious activity or any other crime.

“It really opens up the door for doing the right thing and compensating for it,” said Officer Wierzbanowski. Campus Crime stoppers is usually more successful than not, because students and staff like to keep the school safe, said Officer Wierzbanowski.

When it comes to reporting an issue students have multiple ways to go about it. There is an app called, ‘P3Tips’ that allows anyone to submit an anonymous tip. Or students can call 877-409-8777, which is available 24/7, to submit an anonymous tip. You can also tell an administrator, teacher, or trusted adult.

“If someone reports it to me, I’m the only person that knows who came forward,” said Officer Wierzbanowski. “They remain anonymous, I don’t put their name in a report.”

If students use the app to report a case, they should know that the app is separate from the school district, there is a different company that oversees the issue said Officer Wierzbanowski. If you report it through the school there is an opportunity to get rewarded depending on how the issue needs to get handled.

“There was a case last year when students reported an issue, and they all received $100 for their report because it would have affected our school,” said Officer Wierzbanowski.

The money comes from a Campus Crime Stoppers fund that local businesses donate money to. A board reviews the facts presented to them concerning the investigation. They then make the decision as to how much money the student who came forward gets rewarded.

There are various posters posted around the school with information as to how you can report a case.

Officer Wierzbanowski said, “It’s a good program, I’m really supportive of it. It encourages students to hopefully do the right thing.”