Girls are Receiving More Academic Letters than Boys?

D.C. Everest Senior High School students have the chance to earn an academic letter and be honored for academic excellence. Despite this, how many students on average take advantage of having the chance to earn an academic letter?

The general trend in the last few years shows that female students received more academic letters than males. Not only is this the case but ACT scores recently proven that female students in the senior high are doing better said Dr. Todd Bohm, Assistant Principal at D.C. Everest Senior High School.

Despite more females getting recognized for their academic excellence, Dr. Bohm speculates that the case could be depending on opportunities given at school.

“It is a way to recognize students for not only their academic achievements but also their involvement in some academic activity outside of cocurricular or athletics,” said Dr. Bohm.

In order to receive an academic letter a Grade Point Average criteria has to be met and students also have to be involved in an academic extra curricular activity outside of the school day.

“It is really the whole part of the purpose to recognize kids for achieving really good grades, but also being involved in something that is academic in nature,” Mr. Bohm said. “It is signifying that you achieved a high level of academic achievement and you have done something outside of your school day to broaden your academic experience.”

Although recent years have shown that girls earn more academic letters in the Senior High, worldwide has had the same trend.

According to “The Economist,” boys are 50 percent more likely than girls to fall short of basic standards in reading, mathematics, and science. “The Economist” believes that girls read more than boys and because reading is the basis upon all other learning, boys have a harder time with performances in school.

Despite gender stereotyping on school performances, “The Economist” suggests abandoning stereotypes in order to benefit all students.

“I think it depends on the class and what students feel about it. If it is a class they like, they will put more effort into it,” said Johnny Xiong, Junior.